Q&A Forums

Re coat spf roof Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Jaydub
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 01:24 AM
Re coat spf roof

Hi there
I bought an old building about a year ago. It's a flat roofed 1600 sq ft building with an spf roof that I want to recoat.
There are several places where the foam is showing through now and I've tested it in places with a coat of Gaco flex and its still showing tiny blistered and has some pin holes. Gaco is more of rubbery silicone texture than the previous coat used and I'm not 100% of what the previous one is.
I read that if the original coat is acrylic or urethane then silicone can not be used over it.
Can anyone confirm this ? Also is there a product you can recommend that's durable and not very expensive?
I can message some pictures if you'd think it would be helpful.
Many thanks for your help.
mason
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 12:25 PM
I would have a SPF roof expert inspect the roof and give you an analysis of the condition of the roof before attempting a recoat. It may be that you can power wash the roof and coat over it with a few small repairs of the blistered areas, or it may require a total scarf, refoam and coat. Check out the SPFA recoat document at spray foam.org. It is under the technical sections.

As for the silicone. You can cover acrylic and urethane coatings with silicone just can't cover silicone with acrylic or urethane.
mason
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 12:25 PM
I would have a SPF roof expert inspect the roof and give you an analysis of the condition of the roof before attempting a recoat. It may be that you can power wash the roof and coat over it with a few small repairs of the blistered areas, or it may require a total scarf, refoam and coat. Check out the SPFA recoat document at spray foam.org. It is under the technical sections.

As for the silicone. You can cover acrylic and urethane coatings with silicone just can't cover silicone with acrylic or urethane.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.