Q&A Forums

Quick Plane users! Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Sep 28, 2010 11:23 AM
Quick Plane users!
We are looking for a new scarfer and are wondering who has, or currently uses a Quick Plane model (16" or 24"). It this scarfer good for 2 lb? Is it better/faster then using a wirewheel scarfer? What kind of maintainance does it require? Safe to use? Etc. Any input would be great! Thanks.
Posted: Sep 28, 2010 08:46 PM
i own a couple..
1 is about 10 years old or there abouts...
it is built like a led sled..
and weighs about as much as well,,,,

it has required minimal maintance,,
one thumbswitch somewhere back there in a blur..
and i know i had rechained it a time or 2,,
but reality is the chain problem was my problem as we tightened it to tight,,it likes some slack,,like the v belt on your alternator...
the chain and links were difficult for me to find local in the cornfield,,,was a size smaller than what the local peeps had,,,but now i keep a roll on hand and a few links as well..
and i had one have the bladegaurd/chip diverter pop off the welds,,but it still works like a champ..
it likes ALOT(cant remember for sure,,out on the road so i cant access the manual,,but somewhere around 20cfm) of clean dry air,,,and like all air motors a drop or 2 of air oil every 8 hours or so...
now you dont want to get into the blade when it is wound up and running...it will bite you good...just as your circular saw will...
the blade will last forever as long as you trim foam,,,watch out for nails, mending plates,,metal electrical boxes and stuff like that,,,
it will bite studs as well,,and it will take a bite out of plastic electrical boxes...but not if you use your head when you use it,,
we hand trim the stud oogies to allow a level surface to run it down,,,we hand trim around boxes, and other fixtures,,,use it to plane the wide open spaces,,,great for headers,,,
makes a boat load of nice 1/4"-1/2" chips,,not much small dust or debris,,,
i cant compare to the wire scarfers,,never use one,,,
not for low density,,great for medium density foams,,,
a bit "spendy" but should be a good addition to your trimming armentum...
i would clasify this tool as "foamdude approved"
and would give it an 8 star on the 1-10 scale...
i know we have a few posts back in the archives about this device,,,search feature works well..
hope this helps,,,
dude
ps: 16"ers here,,,typical frameing spacing,,but use it on smaller cavities and larger as well,,,
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 05:56 AM
Yes, I have sold this for a few years, Quick Plane with special blade for closed cell. We are trying it out TODAY at my new company, everyone wants proof. I have NEVER had one of these returned because they suck, as some wire brush models. Oil every 4 hours of continuous use, full little booklet with all the parts and INSTRUCTIONS included in every box, although this usually gets tossed, lol.

Hopefully, later this week I will video it cutting and email blast it, send me your email.
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 08:36 AM
Yes Please! Let me know how it goes and send me the video. My email is northstarfoam@gmail.com . Also could you send me some $$ numbers. Thanks.
Bryan Kwater
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 11:54 AM
I would also like the same info as Northstar.
estimator@matriccompany.com

Thanks.
Brian Bothun
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 03:04 PM
Send me the video to please, brianbothun@gmail.com
Daniel X
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 08:29 PM
I'll let the 1/2lb guys tell you all about it, I spray 2lb. and don't need any air tools or a crew of guys to trim money off the walls and throw it into garbage bags.
SPFer
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 07:58 AM
dl123,

Maybe you should have sat this one out. Your post was no help at all and it just showed that, once again, you believe your sh*t doesn't stink.
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 09:51 PM
caddis,,be nice,,,opinions matter,,lol...
but,,dont try the quickplane on OC foam,,,
wrong tool for the job...will tear the crap out of the stuff...

i spray about
4 sets a month
and what ive learned
is a whole friggin bunch

burma shave
Daniel X
Posted: Oct 01, 2010 02:06 AM
Sorry Caddis I just don't see the point of wasting foam...?

2lb. is not like 1/2lb. I use a depth gauge and only put 3 inches of foam if the job calls for 3 inches...
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Oct 01, 2010 05:37 AM
I havent got a chance to video it yet, perhaps on monday, so be patient with me, I would do it this weekend BUT its going to be under 90 degrees down here

Smile, be happy, and spray foam...on a happier note...I lost 4 lbs this week, hope you didn't find it...
Posted: Oct 01, 2010 08:40 AM
Ahh, but the question is.. is that foam on the floor paid for?! We are spraying semi trailer van bodies and the cavities NEED to be full as per the customers request. No money being lost here my friend!
Daniel X
Posted: Oct 06, 2010 12:51 AM
I assume stud cavities when people mention equipment like this, how much foam do they expect you to put on the walls?
Posted: Oct 07, 2010 05:31 AM
the more the better....

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.