Q&A Forums

Quality? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Alex P
Posted: Aug 05, 2016 03:47 PM
Quality?
Just had my Roof spray foamed in March. We are now 4 months into the new roof and had our first round of Monsoon rains (Ariozona). I have approx. 10 blisters forming in once specific area.

is this normal?

the area that is blistering is in the same area that had multiple blisters, cracks and leaks that led to the tear off in the first place. I feel like I'm back where i started.

also, my entire roof seems to hold all rain water and does not drain. its does not look to be sprayed very consistent and is very uneven.

just hoping to get educated before i call the contractor back out to address this. he is licensed and was actually referred to me by a local roofing supply company.......
Dakotafoamboy
Posted: Aug 25, 2016 03:48 PM
Well blisters form because moisture that is trapped under the roof. So if they put it over the top of an existing leak, there is your source. Also the roof should not hold water. Full drainage is best, but if you have a puddle that is 1/2 inch deep it's not too big of a deal. But if your puddles are deeper than that and it's an acrylic coating, your going to have troubles. The foam should be flat and have a smooth orange peal texture if the applicator knew what they were doing. I've saw some pretty messed up spf roofs in the 7 years I've been shooting foam. The worst would have to be a 50 square roof that some colony boys sprayed 2lbs wall foam on. As if that wasn't bad enough, they also didn't even coat it. The best of luck to you though.
FMMLA
Posted: Dec 24, 2016 09:00 PM
Blisters can be from a number of different issues from spraying over an exiting leak where moisture was trapped to lifts less than 1/2", sanding edges down and letting it blow across a roof before you spray the second lift, etc.... Usually if it is not a full tear off, we would install one way vents and install densdeck (FM90) to get a good clean substrate to spray on.

Every architect that I ever worked with required us to spray a black primer, flood the roof and make notations of all ponding areas then go back and fix. If this wasn't done, you could have an issue with excessive ponding.

Spraying material to hot or to cold will always cause roofs to be uneven. The secret to a nice even roof is a constant temperature range of your material before you ever hit the proportioner. If you can maintain 70-80 degrees before the proportioner and 115/125 on the proportioner, you can spray nice even roofs.

ErvineFallis
Posted: Mar 08, 2017 06:40 AM
See https://kingkoating.com/blog/

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.