Q&A Forums

Protective coating Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Curtis Bell
Posted: Jun 04, 2009 08:26 PM
Protective coating
Im looking at a job (pole barn) and the owner wants a protective coating over the foam. I need some suggestions on what to use. Would a basic urethane or polyurea be fine? What have some you guys priced something like that out at. Nothing fancy, wanna try to keep the bid low. Thanks
Posted: Jun 04, 2009 09:44 PM
Hey overspray! It seems whenever I put a protective coating over something, I am high and get beat out.

We have had several bids over the last months or so and the intumescents that we were quoting out from both BASF and Lapolla add another $1.34 to the foam quotes per sq. ft.

What is everyone else using for a protective coating over foam?
Posted: Jun 05, 2009 06:57 AM
liner tin,,,drywall,,,plywood type boardstock,,,

the coatings will not provide much structural integrity to the foams surface and even a polyurea will puncture or "tear" with the rigors of working shop,,,

i encourage my peeps to line there building..
post framed i will shoot em an r20 open cell if it going to be lined,,,nice app,,,for them and me,,,if they dont want to line then CC it is 2" minimum in the sides,,,
Posted: Jun 05, 2009 07:19 AM
Hi Dude

I have been losing a lot of business in La on open buildings on either Open or Closed Cell.

What would you do if the customer tells you that they are not going to line with anything at all, whether it be an intumescent, liner tin, drywall or plywood type board stock?

They just want you to spray and that is it!

Do you just spray and tell them that they are required to do so?

I haven't been and probably lost out on over $100K in jobs last month alone. There are so many applicators here that if one goes by the code and it will cost the customer more money, the next one won't worry and the customer will go with the cheaper price.

Looking for advice to not be losing this business.

Steve

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.