Q&A Forums

Primary Heating Problem Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
NCIFoam
Posted: Jan 09, 2017 07:22 PM
Primary Heating Problem
I have looked around the site, the web, talked to Graco as well as my supplier. We seem to have an odd situation going on with one of our E-30's.

When you fire the machine up, set your temps and turn it on the temps go crazy, they spike to 180, then drop to 120, then back up and down over time. This happens on both the A side and the B side. A side more than the other. The set temps stay constant, pressure is not a problem.

What we have done so far:

1. Check the amps on all section of wiring, pins, fts, etc. Everything reads as it should according to the manual.
2. Swapped the temperature control board out of another E-30 (same model ) that is a spare in the shop. Same thing happens.
3. We have swapped the connectors for the a and b side heater control modules. The problem switches to the b side being more dominant and the a side not doing it as much.
4. We have checked another operating E-30 in one of our other trailers , it works fine and all wire and connection, amps and volts read the same.
5. Removed the wrap, insulation from all 310 feet of hose to do a physical check of the connections, connectors and wires.

We are at a loss of what could be causing this, I am weary of replacing a $1000 board to find out that's not the problem, I am just wondering if we missed something or if someone else has experienced this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Model is the E-30, 246035, 230v 3 phase.
300 feet heated hose, 10 foot heated whip
Fusion air purge gun.
2001rotax800
Posted: Jan 09, 2017 08:21 PM
I have a little experience with this machine and kind of had the same thing happen. The way I understand it is the main product heater is very large, and once its powered up it heats the product very quick, there in no flow so the temp rises very fast. Now, I put the line heater in service, and once it comes up to temp, I then put the main heaters on and start spraying. I don't see the temp spikes once I am spraying, as there is flow through the product heater. If you are getting the correct product temp out of the gun, I would not change the card.
NCIFoam
Posted: Jan 09, 2017 08:50 PM
Thanks for the reply, one thing I forgot to mention, in theory, If I understand correctly, the hose heats should start cycling once you reach the target temperature. Right now we pass the target temps by about 20 degrees. Earlier the number was around 30 to 40 degrees.

This is what has us baffled as there are no error codes being kicked out, the machine will keep going, spraying.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.