Q&A Forums

Prepping a house and clean up. Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Yvan Richard
Posted: Nov 07, 2010 11:37 AM
Prepping a house and clean up.
Our prep time and clean up seems to be taking too long. We put masking tape on the face of each stud and poly all windows and doors or anything we don't want overspray on. We also tape and poly the floor and ceiling about 18" from the wall, so there is no scraping afterwards.

We have been using a regular hand saw to trim walls and then go over it with a wire wheel trimmer.

Does anyone have a better and faster way to clean and prep?
Brian Bothun
Posted: Nov 07, 2010 02:48 PM
You really mask every stud? I tried it but took to long and just adds to the total cost of the job. I'm a one man show and any extra work is that much less in my pocket.
John Shockney
Posted: Nov 07, 2010 04:45 PM
Better yet get the homeowner or general contractor to do the prep and cleanup.

Airpro
Yvan Richard
Posted: Nov 07, 2010 09:06 PM
I am also a one man show. So how are you prepping the your projects?
Yvan Richard
Posted: Nov 07, 2010 09:09 PM
My only concern is that it won't be done correctly and then I end up doing it anyway.

Is that how it works in your area?
Brian Bothun
Posted: Nov 07, 2010 09:47 PM
I mask the windows and doors and whatever else. and lay resin paper down on the floor butted up to the plate. spray side to side and dont hardly have any overspray on studs. Maybe not the prettiest looking foam but its flat. Last job I did myself sprayed a set and a half in a day. Had less then an hour clean up.
Yvan Richard
Posted: Nov 07, 2010 11:22 PM
ok, I also spray side to side and get alot of build up on the studs at least 3/4" of an inch. For me the side to side motion creates a hump in centre of the cavity, I then do a vertical pass along the edge of the stud and the so called hump to make the foam more flat.

Should I be trying a different technique? If so what?

I use an AR 4242 mixing chamber, would a different chamber help?
Daniel X
Posted: Nov 07, 2010 11:44 PM
Do you spray the corners first?

I call that picture framing, and I round all the corners out to the thickness we're spraying to before I fill the cavity between studs.

I would lose my job if I put 3/4" of foam on all the studs, wow.

The only time I mask every stud is when they put 2x4 with the 3.5" side as the face, and they want 1.5" of foam everywhere.
Posted: Nov 08, 2010 07:12 AM
we walk in the door,,
cover all winders, doors, tubs, fireplace and other finish fixtures,,,
if the floor is getting a finish..ie:tile, carpet, wood or sumpin,,,we do not cover
we do not mask elect boxes,,
we spray foam,,,oc or cc into the stud cavity...
we hand scrape the studs,,,usually aint much..
we usually hand dress the stud cavities as well,,,3" cc in 2x4 may call for the quickplane..
oc we always trim,,some by hand,,some with foamzall,,
we "spud" the floor along the bottom plate as we trim..
we haul our debris off site,,
we leave the jobsite in a "broom-swept" condtion
ready for the next trade to do their thing...
i luv cleanin up after electricians and plumbers!!friggin slobs...lol
dude

get in
get out
get your check..
burma shave

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.