Q&A Forums

Poor Mans Drum Pump Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Dave Strnad
Posted: May 12, 2006 06:39 AM
Poor Mans Drum Pump
Maybe this is a dumb idea, but I have seen people use a drop pipe in a 55 gal drum of oil and pressurize the drum to dispense oil. Is anybody doing this for SPF, it seems like a system with no moving parts would be nice. Could use nitrogen too. Anyway not sure if the drums would handle the pressure, I think usually only a few psi is applied not sure how it would do with 80 -90 psi? Any Thoughts
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: May 14, 2006 12:22 PM
3-5 psi would be my maximum recommendation. I doubt if that would be enough to lift cold/cool material in winter time. Too low.

I like the idea for simplicity's sake, but not sure how it would play out. What would happen when a drum ran out? It would fill part of the hose with air. It would also be difficult to get a balanced pressure on each component it seems to me.

gcw
Dave Strnad
Posted: May 14, 2006 01:18 PM
I have checked into it a little more since the post and your right couldn't safely get the pressure you need in a drum, could be done just not safely. I have found some setups that use pressure tanks instead of drum pumps. I think they use nitrogen also, should be easy to get uniform pressure just tee to each tank. Seems like a good setup but not any cheaper or easier, still need drum pumps and would have to setup the tanks. I would also want some sort of float system for when you run out of material to prevent filling the system with air.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.