Q&A Forums

pole barn Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
andy buff
Posted: Dec 05, 2007 01:48 PM
pole barn
talked to a guy thats building a board and batten pole barn with a metal roof.whats the best way to spray the roof deck?is there a better gauge metal?.the owner is worried about spraying to the roof deck and then having a problem with the roof and not being able to replace a section?he also was wondering about putting down osb and putting the metal roof to it.how many inches is enough to hold heat and not form condinsation?...thanks skinny
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Dec 05, 2007 03:15 PM
Just spray to the metal, and don't waste another minute worrying about replacing metal.

The only thing that roof will need is paint in about 15-20 years.

29ga. will work fine if it is high tensile (like Wheeling steel roofing). 26ga is fine too, but it is normally lower tensile.
When either one is sprayed from underneath it will double their strength.

Have fun,

oG
Rob Granger
Posted: Dec 05, 2007 06:37 PM
Olger,
Have you had problems with oil canning when spraying to metal roof/pole barns?
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Dec 06, 2007 05:00 AM
Hi Yes.

29ga metal is susceptible to "oil canning" if you spray full thickness on the metal in one pass. Stripe pass the purlins and allow them to cool slightly and use two passes on the steel. Should have minimal to no problem.

The walls are more of an issue than the roof.

oG
andy buff
Posted: Dec 06, 2007 06:51 AM
Og,whats 'oil canning'
Posted: Dec 06, 2007 01:35 PM
My manufacture has always told us to pressure was new metal to get rid of the oil base on the metal.prior to spraying it with foam. To avoid this problem.??
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Dec 07, 2007 12:16 AM
Sorry for the confusion. Oil canning is the foam stressing or distorting the steel siding (slightly). Our new shop addition has a dash of it on the west wall. It is visible during certain lighting condition during the day.

I don't mind.

oG
Chad Gritzmaker
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 08:24 PM
What thickness is the best bang for the buck when it comes to pole buildings? (Roof/Sidewalls)
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 10:22 PM
closed cell...
2.5" is the best bang(cost to performance) for buck in sidewalls...
4-5" best bang for buck in lids...

in the world i like to sell 2" sidwalls 3" lids in shops. by shops i mean structures that will only be "gently" heated...
if the customer wants, or the structure is designed for it to perform at commercial/residential levels you will need 3 sides and 4-5 lid,,, minimum....physics is physics i believe it was said in a post some time ago :)

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.