Q&A Forums

Pier and Beam Spray Foam questions. Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Feb 19, 2018 11:03 PM
Pier and Beam Spray Foam questions.
I'm posting this in a couple of threads, as I'm not sure where this belongs. We are looking at spray foam insulation in our pier and beam home. We have had a few people come out (all reputable companies with recommendations) and are getting conflicting stories. At one end of our home, the crawl space is only about 12-15 inches from the ground. We have been told by one person that it's impossible to install spray foam insulation in that small of a space; others have told us it will not be a problem. We have had one person tell us if you can't do the entire floor, it can cause problems with moisture, etc. Others have told us it's ok to spray just part of the floor. At this point, we don't know what to believe.

I would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.
John Shockney
Posted: Apr 26, 2018 09:42 AM
spraying foam in a 12 inch high crawl space is impossible to do correctly. You need to get the spray gun 18-24 inches from the surface that you are spraying to and be as close to 90 deg with the surface as possible.

Think of spraying foam as the same as spraying paint. Could you spray paint where you want the foam insulation and do a good job.

The only way that sometimes you can get foam insulation into these hard to reach spaces is to just overfill them with open cell foam but even then it is hit or miss.

as for not insulating all of the floor that would depend on the building design, you do need to have a good and complete building envelope.

hope this is helpful

Airpro

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.