Q&A Forums

Physical Properties of cold applied Polyurea Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Jul 21, 2010 07:56 PM
Physical Properties of cold applied Polyurea
I would like to start this thread to dispel myths about Polyurea being applied by batch mix, low pressure or by cartridge.

You can obtain your correct physical properties providing the formulation is made to be applied through whatever method it was designed for. This includes the PDA definition of a "Pure Polyurea" What this means is if it is formulated for cold application you can achieve from a bed liner type polyurea to an infra structure polyurea physical properties and in between. This is fact.

Lets look at what is a Hybrid. Most associate it as being a percentage of a urethane base B side. This if factual still would not be a bad thing. It simply means you up the chances of blistering if applying when it is to humid. Polyurea can however be Hybrid from Epoxy to many other substitutes and for certain applications give more desired physical properties.

I have been to many Car shows over the years and seen Hybrid cars. What this means is a car has been modified for a reason or liking. They usually sell for much more money.

The object of a coating is to protect. The protection is deemed by what it needs to protect from. As an example most "Pure Polyurea's" cannot resist Chlorine. You can modify a Polyurea that can withstand Chlorine. Does this make it a bad thing?

We can't jump around a make everything a new generic so to me if it is a molecule with a tail that is filled it fits into a polyurea category which to me is an Iso with a Pre Polymer and an Amine B side. I don't think that is so hard. We however can over rationalize and confuse both ourselves and the customer community out there.

I welcome feedback, good or bad.

Thanks,
Tom

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.