Q&A Forums

PHOTOS of SPF RESIDENTIAL ROOF Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Steve Otte
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 01:16 PM
PHOTOS of SPF RESIDENTIAL ROOF
As I mentioned in another post, I'm exploring the idea of having my Florida home re-roofed with SPF. It's a ranch style (very low slope) and currently has a BUR (tar and gravel) that needs replacing. Got some great feedback from several folks on here, but nothing speaks better than a photo(s).

Has anyone taken some shots of a RESIDENTIAL roof that they've sprayed? Particularly how it was finished around the drip rail area (edges of the roof).

Thanks,
Steve
Energy Tech Solutions Inc. - Chuck Costa
Posted: Jul 12, 2008 08:39 PM
Check out under job profiles
George Phelps
Posted: Jul 14, 2008 10:43 PM
I'm still working on mine after 2 years. You'll really want to make sure that your roof is free of any built up clumps of tar. Otherwise instead of having SPF with an orange peel texture...your roof will look more like a sack of tangerines, oranges and grapefruits.

The edge of the roof will and the pitch (apex) will not be without undulations. I resolved this with a Japanese flat saw and a belt sander. After smoothing the undulations you'll need to seal the fosm where you removed the skim covering.

Don't let my post deter you. I would do this again without hesitation.

I am now getting ready to cap off the roof with poured silicone.

Some words of advice. Get many estimates. The prices are all over the place. Carefully choose between acrylic and silicone. I went acrylic initially...now I'm going silicone. Silicone can last a great deal longer.
Steve Otte
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 04:10 PM
Thanks for the added information. I'm still deciding which way to go. I'm very impress with SPF -- would be great to see this take over the residential roofing market, but it seems like it's going to take a lot more attention to find someone who will do my roof -- especially someone who knows theirs stuff and is priced fairly.
erik williams
Posted: Nov 22, 2008 11:00 PM
Have you done your roof yet? Are you still looking for some photo's?
Steve Otte
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 10:46 AM
Actually, no I haven't had the roof done yet. I was waiting to get out of the summer rainy season, but would like to get it completed in the next month or two. So, any information you have would still be of interest. Thanks.
Steve Otte
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 04:10 PM
Yes, if you have photos of a residential project I would be very interested.
Aaron Scurlock
Posted: Dec 09, 2008 02:48 AM
Make sure that you have a foam ROOFER do the foam roofing.

I have seen many jobs in the Chicagoland area that were done in the '80's by someone that didnt know their arse from a roof drain.

Messed up they were.
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 09:21 AM
Call this number 877-836-2648 and ask for Steve. He knows a lot of foam roofing contractors in Florida and can find one near you.
I have done a lot of residential flat roofs over the years. I don't have many residential photos on my web site yet. Most of our work is industrial/commercial foam roofing. As far as the drip edge detail - foam should be tapered to the height of the edge metal. A "V" groove should be cut along the edge of the metal about 3/8" deep and fulled with caulking before applying the coating. DON'T use acrylic caulking! Must be urethane or silicone depending on the type of coating used. The use of caulking will allow for more flexibility with the metal (foam could sheer off the metal drip edge).
Existing built-up roof - if dry it can stay.
Drip edge - needs a min. 1" raised lip on the roof edge
Foam - should be min. 1 1/2" thick w/extra added for slope to create positive drainage.
Coating - in Florida we have used a lot of silicone coating, urethane coating is very good too. Don't use acrylic coating! Acrylics are much cheaper, but it's not designed for low sloped roofs.
Robert Buchmeier
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 10:07 PM
go to www.buc-enterprises.com and they have some good pictures of edge details and foam pictures.
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 05:31 AM
Good sight with good before, during and after pictures.
David Pressler

Builder of Off Grid monolithic indestructible concrete structures with exterior foam ALSO Foam Domes.

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 04:25 PM
I have a potential customer that I believe his roof is structurally soung just that a leak from the slate tile roof has occurred.
If roof is structurally sound can I suggest to him to have 2 inches of closed cell foam applied over his existing tiles and does anyone have photos of this procedure being done?
Working in Florida
David Pressler

Builder of Off Grid monolithic indestructible concrete structures with exterior foam ALSO Foam Domes.

Posted: May 13, 2010 09:28 AM
Steve
contact my estimator in Daytona Guy Beasley to have him come out and look at your roof. As with any new innovative system there must be a first and my company is exploring the possibility of spraying existing roofs on the exterior. The savings to those willing to allow their home to become a model for promo should be substantial!
Cosmetics is a factor that needs to be solved and we think we have done that using a stucco finish.
David 954 370 7944
Guy 386 212 5984
DRD Enterprises Inc www.safedomes.com
Terrance Harris
Posted: May 13, 2010 11:50 AM
You planning on using stucco over foam on a ROOF?
Steve Otte
Posted: May 13, 2010 12:15 PM
Thanks Buck, that sounds great. I appreciate your input.
Robert Buchmeier
Posted: Jun 27, 2010 10:05 PM
Steve,
Did you ever get anything done with your project.
Robert Buchmeier
Posted: Jun 27, 2010 10:10 PM
Steve,

You can also go to www.domeofahome.com I did that done about 7 years ago. check out the detail on it.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.