Q&A Forums

PAPR Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Geoff Turnquist
Posted: Jan 31, 2010 11:10 AM
PAPR
Can you give me some feedback or concerns in regards to PAPR units and spray foam. The convenience cant be beat but are they satisfactory for use as breathing apparatus in ALL conditions...THX GEOFF
mason
Posted: Jan 31, 2010 02:35 PM
I have not personally used a powered air purifying respirator (PAPR), but, I would suspect that they would be quite a lot heavier than a regular half mask air purifying respirator and so a little less comfortable.

For inside use, I prefer an air supplied paper hood. If it is hot, I like to use a vortex cooler on the airline (Note: You need a high cfm compressor to use the vortex cooler and with that a carbon monoxide monitor, filters, etc.)

For outside applications, I prefer the half mask air purifying respirator,

Any first hand observations and comments on the PAPRs?
Doug Commette
Posted: Feb 01, 2010 09:49 AM
Here is my take on PAPR's:

Battery Operated Pump - means you always have to have batteries charged.
Hood is paper lightweight which means it tends not to move with your head sometimes. They do make room for hard hats inside which is nice if application required.
They are not approved for confined space applications, so you dont get the benefit of a fresh air system for this application.
PAPRs are still AIR PURIFIED, not fresh air supplied.

I will say that most people I know that use PAPR do like it, but my vote is to go with fresh air system in combination with full face and half face APR masks. The full face shields can often have interface kit to go from APR to SAR (fresh air supplied) easily with same mask. I will see if I can post some pics in the photo gallery soon.
DC
Posted: Feb 01, 2010 07:46 PM
I have 4 units I can sell you cheap. My guys won't wear them any more. Too bulky.

I'm tired of buying filters for them too. Way too much money and they don't except any kind of pre filters.

We use supplied air with either hoods, bump caps or full face. Depends on personal preference. Rolloing up the hoses are a pain. Usually on a rainy Friday night, allready past happy hour, muddy job site- you know how it is. But we don't waste money on filters.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.