Q&A Forums

overspray Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Wayne Hawke
Posted: Dec 30, 2011 04:59 PM
overspray
Hi Mason,
Still trying to master these oil storage tanks. The blistering issue has subsided by spraying the 1 1/2" in a single pass. That has also increased yields substantially.

We use a Fusion MP gun with a 6666 mix module with an 090 ceram tip. Our machine is an H25.
Looking at the manual, it appears that we are at the top end of the machines capability. I switched to a 5757 module with a 070 tip. This has afforded more control while spraying around penetrations but, the overspray around the base of the tanks seems excessive in my opinion. There is also a build up of oddly configured overspray that collects on the shell of the tank. It doesnt appear on all surfaces, just about half. It seems like small particles collect to form little nuggets that stick to the shell. Do you think that could be an issue with static electricity? Do you think smaller modules will address some of my problems?
We are using BASF 2973 in a winter formulation. We heat the tanks with a frost fighter and spray in a heated shop. I am thinking we need to be using summer foam. Any input would be appreciated.

Happy New Year
mason
Posted: Dec 31, 2011 09:48 AM
Those nodules of overspray can be minimized by spraying a little closer to the tank. Use a slightly smaller mixing chamber, pcd or tip reduce the size of the spray pattern. If you are spraying from a lift bucket, try placing a wind screen on the edges of the bucket and below you. Extend it towards the tank so that the overspray does not fall directly below you.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.