Q&A Forums

overspray Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
thomas malloy
Posted: May 13, 2008 09:48 AM
overspray
is there any chemical out there that takes overspray off, i heard there is a chemical out there just don't no what it is called.
Terry Tillett
Posted: May 13, 2008 10:34 AM
off of what? urostrip used to be available but would eat the finish on fiberglass,if on a vehicle don't rush! UV's break it down, direct sun for 2-weeks wash and wax,also urostrip would
make the handle off a screw driver disapear if
soaked overnight.POTIENT/HAZARDOUS, in general clean-ups and trimming I use a 4-inch grinder
or 7inch, with wire wheel,
mason
Posted: May 13, 2008 10:13 PM
SPF is extremely difficult to get off of surfaces. As previously mentioned, any chemical strong enough to take off foam would also ruin the finish of most materials. Those solvents also are very hazardous to your health. There are some clay type products that work on foam after it has degraded from UV but won't work on foam that is not degraded. There are also companies that specialize in overspray removal. They use specially designed razor blades to remove the overspray (foam, paint, etc). Detail Masters is one company that I know does work on cars.
Gordon Howard
Posted: May 14, 2008 01:24 AM
Anyone in the urethane game who has ever had problems with overspray removal can rest easy.

The guaranteed way to remove overspray effectively and totally is a simple liquid available at the automotive parts stores.

It will wipe away overspray easily without damaging even the most sensitive surface - including automotive finishes. The liquid is clear, cheap (about $14.00 PER GALLON)

Can anyone guess what it is?

it will change everything for you, cleaning windows, walls, cars etc...

The best applicator for this liquid is one of those dish scrubbers. The plastic ones. They are usually red, green, blue etc...

Not the steel wool ones. Obviously.

this liquid will also clean your plastic full face mask lens without damaging it, your rolex watch, and designer sunglass lens.

I think I would like to flush out the clever contractors with this quiz.

Gordon
neal cottreau
Posted: May 14, 2008 12:43 PM
I really would like to know what this is. I have over spray on base board heaters. Is it WD 40?
thomas malloy
Posted: May 14, 2008 06:36 PM
is it dishsoap and if it is what brand works best.
mason
Posted: May 14, 2008 09:07 PM
Foam man, I have heard of using boiling antifreeze (for cleaning gun parts)but have not tried it myself. (don't know how safe it is.)

I don't know of any solvent or cleaner that can take set up foam off a substrate without damaging a finish. Clay magic is one product that can work if the foam can degrade somewhat.

Gordiehowie, let us know what your secret is. I would like some feedback from readers on their experience.
Kyle Wheeler
Posted: May 18, 2008 06:50 AM
Mason, I do use the boiling anti-freeze method and it works great. I put my parts in an old deep fryer and place the deep fryer outside the shop in open air and boil the parts for 10-15 minutes. Works great.

I am going to guess the product is windex. I would really like to know what the mystery product is as I am currently dealing with n over spray issue on garage doors.
Gordon Howard
Posted: May 20, 2008 01:01 AM
METHYL HYDRATE (METHANOL). I have used it to clean polyurea spray from a brand new Mercedes Benz. No problem. A pair of Ray-Ban Sunglasses worth $350. And my wedding anniversary watch. A windshield on a honda. Also, my plastic view lens on my full face mask etc...

The other liquid which works even better is EUCALYPTUS OIL. Like You wouldn't belive.

In either case, depending on the surface use a cotton cloth or a plastic scrubby for dishes. They look like a shower loofa. They are usually green, blue red and you get tham at the grocery store or wal-mart.

A little pressure may be required. Somehow the Methyl hydrate breaks the bond of the urethane.

I cannot take the credit for this product. Someone else told me about it.

He uses the eucalyptus oil on his face to remove polyureas and batch mix products. A little bit on a cloth with hardly any pressure and it is clean. Put the oil on your hands (not the methyl hydrate of course) and use a pumice stone that people usr for their feets and it will clean all the black crap off of your hands that the ISO and resin stain.

I tried the methyl hydrate and it works. I also tried the eucalyptus oil and it works as well. Even on leather seats in a loaded GMC truck.

Let me have feedback on how the methyl hydrate and eucalyptus oil works for you.

Also, sunlight dishsoap is the best bradn if you are planning on using dish soap. Also use the srubby. The use for this soap is really limited to cleaning your view lens on your face mask.

If the garage doors you are having issues with is vinyl or plastic of some sort, no worries it will work.

Stained wood however will be too rough of a surface and too porous for it to work on.
Michael Flander
Posted: May 20, 2008 02:02 PM
Otherwise known as methanol. Available at any local hardware store.

Works good, I wouldn't say the stuff just falls off though. This in combination with a clay bar is your best bet.

Be careful with long term exposure to paint though. If you take a rag soaked in methanol and leave it on a painted surface, it will bubble the paint. Trust me.
Gordon Howard
Posted: May 20, 2008 08:20 PM
what says you of the eucalyptus oil?
mason
Posted: May 23, 2008 01:34 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Be sure to check out the MSDS sheet on the product to make sure you use the proper personal protection when using any chemical.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.