Q&A Forums

over spray on a rough stone fire place. NEED HELP Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
thomas malloy
Posted: Sep 03, 2009 09:04 AM
over spray on a rough stone fire place. NEED HELP
ANYBODY HAVE PROBLEMS LIKE THIS OVER SPRAY ON A STONE FIRE PLACE ROUGH STONE. ANY CHEMICAL OUT THEIR THAT MIGHT WORK
mason
Posted: Sep 03, 2009 09:09 AM
Any chemical that can attack cured sprayfoam is way to dangerous to use inside a building. The only one I know that works is methylene chloride, a very nasty chemical that you don't want anything to do with. In addition, you would still have a very ugly stain on the rock from the chemical.

Abrasive cleaning is the only way I know to take it off.
Posted: Sep 03, 2009 11:15 PM
light abrasive blast with a gentle media such as bicarbonate of soda or the like,,,

when you hit the jobsite,,cover all tubs and showers as soon as you walk in the door,,all of em,,,even on the next levels,,do the same with any other fixtures such as fireplaces,,mantles,,decorative beams and the like,,,
look around,,,and ask,,is it a finished surface,,,if so cover it,,cover it well,,,
ask the general contractor if the basement floor is gonna be covered,,if not cover it,,,

do not remove any of the above coverings until all sprayin is done,,the hose is wrapped,,the winders sealed,,,the floors are swept,,,till you are 3 steps towards the door,,,

jmho

burma shave...
Arville Brown
Posted: Sep 04, 2009 09:13 PM
Try a product call airplane stripper ive used it before works really well but try a test area before you get to carried away could cause stains just spray it on let is set for a few minutes foam will wipe right off Advance auto carrys it
bob brown
Posted: Sep 22, 2009 04:43 PM
I've tried several products in testing including eucalyptus oil, acetone, paint thinner, floor stripper, ethyl glycol (works, but takes forever) and methyl ethyl ketone or MEK - the MEK worked the best on finished and unfinished concrete, but can stain. 200-1000 grit sandpaper worked on almost any rough surface I tested but once again - can leave marks.
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 06:20 AM
...how did you remediate,,,
Michael Fusco
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 06:51 PM
you might call Scott Eicher at Urethane Soy Systems. They have a solvent that is somehow soy based and totally non-hazardous. I have used it and it works great on cellular foams. Not good on elastomers. 254-246-1808
Posted: Sep 27, 2009 02:06 PM
We had to use a brass wire wheel in a dremel or drill once. Worked great! Rather not have to do it again though...

Tim
Edward Brassington
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 09:33 PM
IF it is a big area, try and find a local contractor that does dry Ice Blasting, it may be expensive but it does work. There will be no residual blast media for cleanup. When we do dry ice blasting projects we often clean our spray rig with the dry Ice, it works great on the pumps, proportioner, exterior of the gun and just about anything else that gets messy from time to time.
Posted: Sep 29, 2009 05:23 AM
$119 for a cheapo harbor freight blaster
$30 for a bag of soda blast media
(you can shoot glass with soda and not etch it,,good for delictates)
you already got air,,
burma shave

foamman???how did you remediate???
thomas malloy
Posted: Sep 29, 2009 05:45 AM
We used electric drills with plastic wire wheels worked pretty good but took 2 men about 10 hours to remove all the foam spots. this is something that i hope never happens again. lets just say we learned the hard way MAKE SURE YOU COVER EVERTHING it may add a little time on the frot half of your job but it sure saves you alot on the back end

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.