Q&A Forums

Open vs. Closed Cell? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Steve Yoerg
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 02:25 PM
Open vs. Closed Cell?
I know this topic has probably been beaten to death on this post, but I an new so here it goes...

I am in the process of building, my builder swears by Icynene and I was all set to go with it...Then they had a meeting with the closed cell people and they are asking me to reconsider and move over to the closed cell side...I can't find enough information out there to sway my decision either way, can someone give me some honest, non biased feedback?

Thanks!
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 04:35 PM
Can anyone name one true advantage that open cell foam has over closed cell foam besides a slightly lower cost?
Thanks
quentin
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 04:47 PM
Softer to hit your head on if it is covering the beams and you are in the attic or etc?

Beyond that I can't find any. Maybe a bit better at noise suppression.

Ok, since I am NOT spraying yet then I think I can be pretty neutral. I am still trying to get the money together to start up but I have done massive amounts of research. All foam products are pretty good and don't let anyone claim that this big name company means it is better than all the rest. Physics is physics with the basic formulas being close.

Closed cell has a much higher insulation value per inch due to it being denser and the cells being separated instead of some air transfer allowed between them to a degree. It also adds strength to the structure which I think is a major bonus. Down side is the cost really is higher.

I plan to go closed cell every chance I can when I finally get the stupid financing thing strait since it is the better product but in the end it is the decision of the individual paying the money.

Summery:
Closed cell benefits are;
1) Better R value per in.
2) Strengthens structure.
3) Better moisture barrier.

Disadvantages; cost
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 07:04 PM
Both are good foams and both have a place. The installer must know where and when to use each foam.

Foam it!
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 09:56 AM
Hi Steve.

Been spraying for 24-years. Closed cell is our insulation of choice for studwalls. The advantages of closed cell (rigid foam) are numerous. We have closed cell in our own house.

Open cell is what we use in attic envelopes.

Have fun,

olger

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.