Q&A Forums

off gasing Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Joe Lynch
Posted: Dec 09, 2008 10:44 PM
off gasing
I am still running into people who say that they don't want foam due to the off gasing or exposure to toxic chemicals. Doesn't fiberglass have formaldhyde in it? I think educating the public is easier said than done. What are the chemicals and gases we exposing the public to.
mason
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 10:45 AM
During my time (14 yearss) as the technical spokesperson for the SPFA, I have published the following response to this question quite a few times in the last 10 years.

"We have not observed or seen reported health problems from sprayfoam applications after installation. In fact I am aware of one case where persons highly sensitive to chemicals used sprayfoam to insulate their metal trailer like homes because they could not tolerate any other type of insulation.

Studies and research show that sprayfoam both open and closed cell emit non-detectable amount of gases and chemicals soon after installation. Right now the Center for the Polyurethane Industry and the Spray Polyurethane Foam Alliance are working on a joint research program to test sprayfoam installations for short and long term emissions of anything that could be considered harmful. The program will identify the best type of test procedures and protocol for testing of emissions, then test a handful of systems. After review and analysis of the data, a report and recommendation will be provided to the industry so that individual suppliers may test their materials according to the same set of rules.

Out of all the chemicals used in the manufacture of sprayfoam, the blowing agent ranks very low in toxicity. The most harmful chemical is the isocyanate. Some persons can become sensitized to the fumes and mists that are created when it is sprayed. Some persons also can have a skin reaction if the liquid is splashed on them. The next most harmful chemical would be the catalysts the next would be fire retardents. But, when mixed properly and cured out, those chemicals become part of the foam cell walls, sort of like bread or a cake becoming a solid material with completely different physical properties from its liquid ingredients and I have yet to see evidence that harmful emissions come from the foam after it is installed and cured."
SPFer
Posted: Dec 19, 2008 03:52 PM
Mason,

Isn't it true that once cured, spray foam is actually an inert plastic? Therefor, there is no toxicity once the initial offgassing is complete.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.