Q&A Forums

Nitrogen Blanket? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Mark Upton
Posted: Jun 14, 2014 04:53 AM
Nitrogen Blanket?
Hello. I am curious about using a nitrogen blanket to protect both my A and B sides. I was considering using a desiccant cartridge in the bungs, but am worried that when I recirc my lines, that I will introduce moisture at that time. I am hoping a nitrogen blanket will work for me. Can you let me know how to use the nitrogen blanket properly? Do you
mason
Posted: Jun 16, 2014 04:21 PM
Nitrogen settles on top of the liquid so that moisture doesn't get into the liquid, However, if you are recirculating that kinda defeats the purpose of the nitrogen blanket. Dessicants work very well. If you do use nitrogen, I would not recirculate the a side to prevent moisture build-up. Rather would spray foam through the machine, that way you are getting fresh material into the pump.
Mark Upton
Posted: Jun 16, 2014 08:26 PM
Thanks Mason. A foam supplier also told me that with the desiccant filter in place, that I should also be spraying a little bit of foam every week (when not being used regularly) to keep the material fresh in the line and pump (and not introduce moisture into my A barrel (I do not use a recirc line and/or block). I was confused as I thought that in order to properly prevent the A-side lines from crystallizing, you had to run at least 20 mins worth of material through to make sure it is fresh. He says this is not the case, and spraying only for a few minutes (into a garbage can for example), will prevent problems in the equipment and lines. Do you agree?
mason
Posted: Jun 18, 2014 08:15 PM
I agree. I used to live on South Padre Island and kept my equipment just across the street from the beach. I would just fire up the unit and spray a few samples about once a week if the rig wasn't being used. Kept the A side from crystalizing.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.