Q&A Forums

Newbie question Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Joe Shmoe
Posted: Apr 09, 2007 12:43 PM
Newbie question
Hi.
I'vee been thinking about insulating my "balloon framed" home. Not just for heating purposes but also for noise reasons. Can spray foam be used? The ourtside walls are open up in the attic and down in the basement. If not, does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks.
Posted: Apr 09, 2007 01:29 PM
It sure can. I just sprayed a balloon framed building with 1.8# closed cell foam without any issues.

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Joe Shmoe
Posted: Apr 09, 2007 01:38 PM
That's GRAND Tim! So no over-expansion on the foam to crack walls? I guess that's either a mith or a thing of the past....

Anyone on this list in suburban Philly who wants to give me some references and an estimate?

Colonial two story three bedroom home. Stucco first floor, wood siding second floor. 1930's
Posted: Apr 09, 2007 05:34 PM
Oh wait a minute. I think I misinterpreted part of your post. Yes the foam can crack plaster and drywall if too much is applied. I understood it to be "open from the basement to the attic" I didn't get that there may still be finished walls between the basement and attic, my mistake.

The foam can still be used and is really your best solution to ensure the best possible and tightest fill. There is the possibility for walls to crack, but done properly it should be minimal. Fixing that wall is far cheaper that the expense of heating/cooling loses that you face without insulation. In fact even removing those finished walls and insulating with foam, preferably closed cell, then installing new drywall, can sometimes be cost effective compared to the alternatives!

Tim
Joe Shmoe
Posted: Apr 09, 2007 07:57 PM
Thanks again Tim. Yeah, I didn't explain it right. You could inject foam from bottom up at the top of the old stone basement walls, and also down from the attic floor. But if there is a chance the old plaster walls will crack, nobody is going to do it in this area. Liability issues. And I'm not gutting a two story house. My wife will gut me....
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Apr 10, 2007 05:01 PM
You will have to use a .5 pound foam. It works for cavity fill. Either that or cellulose, and foam is a lot better.

olger
philip mullins
Posted: Apr 10, 2007 07:12 PM
ok, i hate to sound ignorant here, but, what is a balloon framed house? tx
Posted: Apr 10, 2007 08:46 PM
Balloon framing is a style of framing where the studs go all the way up the walls from one floor to the next without the use of top and bottom plates between floors.

I am not sure of the theory behind it, but my best guess is that it saves lumber and is quicker for the builders to assemble. It does not seem as strong to me but it has worked for years and still has its place in some modern building applications

Tim
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Apr 10, 2007 09:47 PM
Balloon framing essentially dates a house before WWII. After the war, platform framing took posession of the field.

oG

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.