Q&A Forums

Need for Intumescent Coating on CC sprayed to the underside of garage floor steel decking Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
brepko
Posted: Feb 24, 2016 08:53 PM
Need for Intumescent Coating on CC sprayed to the underside of garage floor steel decking
I've sprayed 2 inches of closed cell foam on the ceiling of a lower garage and root cellar (both of which are separated by the main house by 10 inch concrete walls and steel decking ceilings) and my code official says I need to spray intumescent coating on top of the closed cell foam. We did this to stop condensation from forming. Both the garage and root cellar have exterior doors in addition to concrete and steel separating them from the living conditioned space.

Do I really have to do this or is my code official not understanding the intent of the code?
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Mar 06, 2016 01:51 PM
Foam must be separated from the living space with a 15 minute thermal barrier. It appears that the code official is considering the root cellar as living space, which I believe is correct. When you are in the root cellar, you need to be separated from the foam, so you need to coat it. Be aware, the foam and coating need to be tested as a system, for example BaySeal and DC315. Just because a coating works over one brand of foam, it is not compliant unless it was tested over the brand of foam that you sprayed.

George
brepko
Posted: Mar 23, 2016 02:22 PM
Thanks for reply. Crazy how the open lumber (joists) in my unfinished basement does not need thermal barrier but the foam does. Hopefully new IRC codes will get this right.
mark moyer
Posted: Mar 24, 2016 07:48 PM
hopefully your code officials enforce the code in its entirety and not just what is convient.
think blower door testing...2012 iecc,,,section R402.2.1.2
seems we have adopted this code locally but this isnt enforced.
the whole intent of 2012 was to tighten up the building envelope...
oh yes they test ducts on every build..but not the blower door..
dont have man power, equipt, or training...
NOT MY FRIGGIN PROBLEM..IT IS THE CODE,,,ENFORCE IT...
DO NOT PICK AND CHOOSE WHAT ITEMS YOU WANT TO ENFORCE DUE TO
YOUR LACK OF BUDGET OR SKILLS
YOUR JURISDICTION ADOPTED THIS CODE...ENFORCE IT

CAN I HAVE ANOTHER CRAWL SPACE OR ROOF STUDY///
THE SPFA SHOULD BE UP OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS AZZES ABOUT THIS ONE...

until this happens most builder will continue to use 20 filterglass or cellulose cause it is cheap.
they will hang their signs of energy effiecient green builder and all the other bullxcrapp...

our foam homes exceed this 2012 blower door requirement by 5 fold...

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.