Q&A Forums

moving barrels around? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Craig Maturi
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 07:03 AM
moving barrels around?
well i am in the process of starting a business and one of my unanswered problems is how am i going to move the barrels around my shop and into my spray rig without having to buy a fork lift. i could just buy a pallet jack for moving them around my shop, but how am i going to get them off the shipping truck or into my trailer? what do all you guys do? any ideas? thanks
John Shockney
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 10:28 AM
I pick mine up at the local freight company terminal, they load the barrels right into my trailer. Or find someone with a freight dock and fork lift that will recive shipments for you and pay them for the service, it's still cheper than owning that fork lift.

Thanks
AIRPRO
John Shockney
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 10:28 AM
I pick mine up at the local freight company terminal, they load the barrels right into my trailer. Or find someone with a freight dock and fork lift that will recive shipments for you and pay them for the service, it's still cheper than owning that fork lift.

Thanks
AIRPRO
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 07:21 PM
I have what is called a drum truck. They are a like a two wheel cart, but they have four wheels. I can get drums off a semi and into my van with no help at all. (well, the ramp and the cart help) www.mcmastercarr.com cost about $300
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 10:00 PM
PowerMate LE-1. Or buy a clark 5000-lb. forklift.

gcw
philip mullins
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 03:07 AM
here is my plan...
i am building my rig in a 16 foot trailer. i has swing out doors. no ramp. i have purchased a 14 foot box truck that will house the genset (in an enclosed and insulated box with small exterior door so it dont overheat)and aircompressor that i will plum under the floor and to the rear bumper. i will also be able to back right up to the loadind dock and recieve my goods. i can then pump the product from the truck to the trailer. and now my trailer that the salesman told me was to small has room for a fridge, microwave, and a coffee pot!
philip mullins
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 03:07 AM
here is my plan...
i am building my rig in a 16 foot trailer. i has swing out doors. no ramp. i have purchased a 14 foot box truck that will house the genset (in an enclosed and insulated box with small exterior door so it dont overheat)and aircompressor that i will plum under the floor and to the rear bumper. i will also be able to back right up to the loadind dock and recieve my goods. i can then pump the product from the truck to the trailer. and now my trailer that the salesman told me was to small has room for a fridge, microwave, and a coffee pot!
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 07:46 AM
i use a 5000 lb forklift...
i sometimes use a hand "drum" cart...

when i first started i loaded with a 20 ft ramp and a hand cart...(economics,,,how bad do you want it?)
after spraying all day it was hell....
i often considered the risk of injury,,which was great...

these are 550lbs kegs we're rollin around here...

by a lift,,it goes in the asset column,,,and will be the best money you ever spent,,,(it will also hold its resale value as well as any piece of equipment in your shop)we can hit the slab with the trailer and have 2 kits out of the material room and set in place secured in the trailer in about 20 minutes,,,fast and furious,,time is money...

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.