Q&A Forums

Mini-split sizing? Help appreciated Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Gary Peaden
Posted: Jul 31, 2018 01:20 AM
Mini-split sizing? Help appreciated
I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this question but sure needing some of your expertise. I built a 30x40 workshop in coastal Alabama (hot climate) which needs to maintain a comfortable temp for two full time employees. Here is the specs:
*Open cell spray foam insulation on underside of shingle roof (R20, 5.5")...and....walls and gable ends (R13, 3.5")
*No interior walls
*4 - 3x4 low E windows. One on each wall
*1 fiberglass insulated single entry door
*All wood framing
*Trussed 6 on 12 pitch roof
*Finished sheetrock on ceiling and walls
*9' ceilings
* No shade
I took great pains in sealing the building and once I get the mini-split system installed I will probably start thinking about a dehumidifier and outside air exchange. I am using two 12K BTU dual hose portable air conditioners now and they maintain around 76 degree but will start creeping up a little on an extremely hot day. These have proven to be expensive to run and are not pulling enough moisture from the building, averaging around 70% humidity. I also have ceiling vents with a small fan to provide circulation in the attic to control humidity up there. I have been unsuccessful in locating a good HVAC sizing chart for spray foam construction on the web and the "manual J" calculation is beyond my level of knowledge to properly complete.
Please forgive me for the length of this question but if anyone here can give me an idea of BTU's necessary to keep us cool and humidity at bay, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.