Q&A Forums

Metal panel waste Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Aug 19, 2009 11:53 AM
Metal panel waste
Anyone know with 99% accuracy what the waste factor should be "in real world" application on a traditional R panel profile? I can e-mail anyone a picture if you need a peek at the panel.
Posted: Aug 19, 2009 08:30 PM
Question on waste factor.

Do you mean yield based on spraying an R Panel?

We do quite a bit of R Panels and the only thing that I can tell you is there is a slight difference when the wind is blowing.

When I quote a job out on R Panels, I estimate 2750 Board Ft per set and have never run out of foam or lost money on a job.

I have run short of materials figuring at 3000 board ft per set though on windy days.

So you would be safe somewhere in between!

Not sure if that helps or not
Posted: Aug 19, 2009 09:19 PM
Yea.... gotcha.... we have specified an interior job with 1.7 and are trying to make sure we can knock down 4500bf per kit..... so if 1,000 sq feet is mesured @ 2".... what do we need to order?....what is the waste factor????? 20%.....22%...25%
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 07:28 AM
PS.. I was estimating on an exterior roof application using 3 Pound on windy days.

Interior 2 Pound with now wind will get your around 4000 bf to be safe per set on R Panels.

Walls will be better at 4250 bf, but ceilings will get you around 4000 or so.

I usually overestimate materials rather than running short.
Michael Fusco
Posted: Aug 23, 2009 01:37 PM
ok guys...I'm confused.....
Exterior jobs absolutely will loose yield to wind and temperature dofferences going from sun to shade....but waste on interior??

Yield should be consistent unless you are loosing due to applicator error or lack of experience. Or, your material is slow and drips.

Some slight variance due to temperature (sun drenched wall vs. shade wall), but that is almost negligable unless you are shooting below 40 degrees. (and that would be lack of experience if not heating the substrate...).

Can you educate me as to why yield is lost (or waste occurs) on wall and ceiling jobs?
Posted: Aug 23, 2009 10:00 PM
Seen dozens of applicators including myself spraying metal buildings roofline and have yet to see no overspray hit the floor.

It's impossible to Spray straight up without losing something on the ground! Gravity still rules.

Also, R Panels are not like spraying a flat surface. Depending upon the type of panels, you will use more material to cover a square foot versus spraying straight to smooth surface.

Due to the coverage on an R panel, your Board feet per set will not work out to the same as a flat surface.

I wouldn't necessarily call it waste though, just a difference in yield spraying flat surfaces versus corrugated R Panels or standing seems.
Aaron Scurlock
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 05:11 PM
Yes, I add 1.5" per linear foot for a more accurate measurement, then add for waste.
luis razzetti
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 07:11 PM
You should take a measuring tape and measure the panel straight across the ribs. Then measure it again with a flexible tape following the panels' profile.
Let's say first straight measurement is 12" and second measurement following the profile gives you 13.8", that is a 15% stretch factor.
It depends on the profile.
Good luck!

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.