Q&A Forums

Making the investment Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Dec 20, 2005 08:40 PM
Making the investment
The first thing to consider when becoming a spray foam contractor is the investment required. The investment will be in many areas including equipment, materials, training and marketing.

You will need a the proper spray foam equipment, unless you intent to act as a sales agent and sell jobs and broker work to local contractors or established contractor partners. We suggest you pick a specific market/application service and specialize in it, such as roofing or insulation. There are many other applications and specialties (see our Markets page).

A major part of your initial investment, should include training in foam processing, equipment operation and maintenance for the foam side of things. This hardly takes into consideration the application knowledge of roofing, insulation, coatings or other specific uses and application areas the foam will be sold into, and used within. We feel that knowledge of the application is more important than the foam technology to be successful. Don’t forget that training usually requires traveling to the suppliers’ facilities, and is most successful when your applicators and sales staff are included.
Timothy Sonney
Posted: Jan 04, 2006 09:05 PM
I can't agree more - Training is key, and the more that you know you equipment, the less down time you will have.

Your largest investment will be the equipment. I have seen small rigs for around 30K and loaded ones around 85K. It all depends on how big a trailer and how much you want to stuff it with.

More to follow....
william cole
Posted: May 27, 2006 12:25 PM
glad i found this website. we bought the equipment and or gettting everything set up now. the reason we got in the business is because we are right in the middle of where hurricane katrina hit. we are talking about 100,000 homes to be rebuilt in a 30 mile area. we have someone coming next week to go on the first job with us and start training us. i think with just the sheer volume of work here in the near future if we do this right, the sky is the limit. do you think we should have conventional insulation along with the foam or just specialize in the foam. would appreciate all the tips i can get. thanks

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.