Q&A Forums

Losing the unvented attic assembly Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Michael Fusco
Posted: Feb 06, 2010 04:24 PM
Losing the unvented attic assembly
Is anyone paying attention?

Unvented attic assembly to disappear in the 2012 code cycle?

Hey SPFA...you out there???
Posted: Feb 07, 2010 03:52 AM
im payin attention uman...
where are you reading this..
can you provide some sourse for info??

would be a giant step in the wrong direction
for increasing building performance...

'dude
Michael Fusco
Posted: Feb 07, 2010 06:50 AM
I was recently sent a power point presentation created by NCFI. One of the first slides says "Note - the 2009 IBC does not permit non-vented attics, this is a change proposed to the 2009 code committee which was accepted and will be presented for vote of acceptance in 2010 by the ICC Conference – it is expected to pass and be inserted in the 2012 edition of the IBC"

They claim this IBC chapter applies to "non-exempt buildings,such as those covered by the IRC." Now, I ha ve to tell you that I disagree with their interpretation....but if it's in the 2012 IBC...bet me its in the 2015 IRC.
Michael Fusco
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 11:59 AM
I think I was wrong here is the statement:

"Note - the 2009 IBC does not permit non-vented attics, this is a change proposed to the 2009 code committee which was accepted and will be presented for vote of acceptance in 2010 by the ICC Conference – it is expected to pass and be inserted in the 2012 edition of the IBC"

I think I read this wrong. I believe it actually says the new IBC will allow the unvented attic assembly.
Roger Morrison
Posted: Feb 20, 2010 08:11 AM
Urethaneman1: I think your second interpretation was the correct one.
Derek Dwyer
Posted: Jun 21, 2010 05:43 PM
Chapter 12 of the Florida Building Code allows for attic spaces designed by an architect or engineer which eliminate the attic venting.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.