Q&A Forums

Just learned an interesting fact regarding generators.. Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Nov 05, 2006 05:18 PM
Just learned an interesting fact regarding generators..
I was told that the EP(stinkin)A (pardon me) will not allow imported generators in trailers. They have to be stationary or else.

I was fixin to buy a New Holland genset but it is assembled in China. If I buy it and install it in a job trailer it automatically voids the warranty.

Ever heard of that one..?
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Nov 05, 2006 07:39 PM
There is a guy on ebay selling generators imported from china that have a copy of a cummins diesel engine. I emailed him a couple of questions. Seeing my ebay name, he assumed that I was looking to mount the genset in a trailer and he told me that wasn't allowed by the EPA. I was suprised to hear it! In a separate email, he said that mounting any genset in a trailer would void the warranty.

George
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Nov 05, 2006 08:46 PM
Terrific. Every vehicle on the road has an engine and a fuel tank, but you can't mount a generator in a job trailer.
John Shockney
Posted: Nov 05, 2006 09:09 PM
I had the same problem finding a trailer mounted backup generator for our local water company last spring.

Northern Equipment had a gen that fit the spec. but couldn't be trailer mounted.

Then I found Stateline Power Corp. 650 Pine Street, Greenville, Ohio 45331 phone # 800-524-8344.

They build a gen that meets EPA, trairer mounting doesn't void the waranty and has a John Deere diesel.

Hope this helps
Airpro
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Nov 05, 2006 09:26 PM
I have an easy fix for that. Just mount hooks and strap the gen set in. Don't permanently mount it. Or tell the guy who you purchased it from and will be servicing it, you won't be doing business with them.

The only reason why I can imagine it would be an issue is the the heat build but I can't see a trailer mounted genset with plenty of ventilation and fans could be any worse than a genset on a trailer with a cage and they sell those all day long.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Nov 07, 2006 12:26 PM
The issue with the epa zealots is emmissions. Like it makes any difference where the generator is setting, and we tow it to the jobsite with a powerstroke truck.

There is nothing so simple that they can't make complicated.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Nov 08, 2006 01:54 PM
My first generator came from Stateline. Not a bad unit, but twice the cost as imports.
Posted: Nov 08, 2006 08:07 PM
olger,,,call juan carlos@ gopower in miami...
see what he can do for you...
www.gopower.com
302-592-6800
i believe a "tier 2" genset/diesel can be "containerized" without voiding warranty...
Posted: Nov 18, 2006 04:24 PM
I also have a Genset from Stateline power. If you have the John Deere engine in it, there has been a recall on them. You need to check before the motor gets trashed. Mine was to late, They have put a new motor on mine. Just wish I had know about the problem so I did not have to take the genset out of my trailer.
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 10:08 PM
Just wanted to revisit this post.

Are the imports usually "lesser" quality? I have been having fits with my imported unit (lots of loose bolts and fasteners, bolts and studs shearing off, several features that don't work, oil & coolant leaks, horrible exhaust smoke and fumes etc). I am working with the distributor and he says this is not typical. This one I have is the biggest POS I have seen in my life, every day it is something new!

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Kevin Morse
Posted: Mar 22, 2007 12:53 PM
Morse Industrial has a diesel generator that has a John Deere engine and will meet the EPA requirements and the warranty will not be voided.
They also have a rotary screw air compressor that can be run off the generator as well.
great for saving space.
Their website is www.morseindustrial.ca
Marc Kast
Posted: Mar 22, 2007 01:50 PM
I have built over 200 trailer units during my years with Gusmer then wih Graco and my generator of choice is the GC-40 a 40kw unit supplied by Morse Industrial. This unit was specifically designed for use in a FOAM RIG and meets tier II EP@$**^&&*A requirements for mobile and stationary power supply. The Johne Deere engine is designed specifically for generator with built a in governor system and works like a charm plus you can get serice at any dealer in North America
Posted: Mar 22, 2007 09:30 PM
I just checked out that Morse site and products. That generator/compressor combo seems like it is the cat's meow. So how much? Who distributes them in the US (preferably the northeast)?

Thanks, Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.