Q&A Forums

ISO sensitivity Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Alan Fagerstrom
Posted: Jan 20, 2010 03:31 PM
ISO sensitivity
I'm iso sensitive. We are installers. Why to most foam manufacturers downplay this issue? The health industry does not know what to do to help in emergencies. I've had some personal experience, do you guys know more?
Michael Fusco
Posted: Feb 03, 2010 09:52 AM
I to, am ISO sensitive.
The problem with the health industry is not the manufacturers fault, its that they do not recognize sensitivity for what it is.

You present with difficulty breathing, and that's what they are going to treat. They wont get to CDC until they have a handle on respirations. Been there...done that.....they wont listen, they dont recognize. You almost need to advocate for yourself and diagnose for them.
Posted: Feb 03, 2010 11:23 AM
The manufacturers need to advise that iso sensitivity may become an issue. My experience is that they do not wish to help or understand the problem. And they probably will not change this position til they loose their business in a law suit.
Secondly, my sensitivity is so bad that I went to the emergency room. Family & friends told me to get out of the business. I told them I just needed to figure out how to get it done without me being there. Respitory equipment and suits are not enought for me now.
The ER went to the CDC, found nothing other than whats on the MSDS sheets. They insisted on treating me as if I had the flu because the sypmtoms are very similar. The biggest help was getting oxygen. The most recent problem my doctor advised me that the er was not the place to go and ordered a respiratory pill that really helped.
What are we to do if an employee or customer is ISO sensitive?
Bryan Kwater
Posted: Feb 04, 2010 11:49 AM
Is it mostly caused by inhalation or by directly touching ISO? I was looking for some info on it approximately a year ago and didn't find much. Seams everyone has heard of it, but no one knows anything about it.
Michael Fusco
Posted: Feb 06, 2010 03:43 PM
It is caused by exposure....inhaling is the easiest route to exposure, but I am told it can be absorbed through the skin also. Not sure if there is really a difference.

I have also been to ER. You are correct, hospitals don't know what to do and CDC is pretty useless. I now cant be anywhere near someone spraying without protection. I fweel loike a huge condom when suited up.... but I can breathe!!!

Symptoms usually present like a really bad asthma attack. Difficulty breathing and the like...but the "haze" can also be present. Haze usually indicates overexposure to the point ANYONE will react.....usually a direct result of NOT USING A POSITIVE PRESSURE HOOD!!!!

Guys, simply, a cartridge mask only works as well as your cartridge replacement program. And by the way...ISO exposure IS NOT the criteria for replacement. Just being opened is enough to render a cartridge useless....so if your not replacing every day or so....use a positive pressure hood.

I can spray with a hood as long as I am suited and protected from ANY exposure. Note the word "any". Gloves (doubled, taped wrists, closed hood over suit, taped ankles, booties, the works.

And by the way...I sprayed for over 20 years before I became sensitive...so it can happen to ANYONE.

In short....we learned not to spray 10 inch lifts of cc foam because of fire. If we are smart, we will learn to handle ISO safely before OSHA starts fining us....and they are comming....so c'mon guys, lets not make like we don't know this stuff has a hazard....it does. Get serious with your health...it doesn't cost a ton of money!
Posted: Feb 06, 2010 06:15 PM
I'm so sensitive that enough vapor passed thru tyvek suits that I can not get out of the suit & my clothes without exposure. I do not spray, and I'm not satisfied with the sprayers I've tried to train. Would like to have the industry teach spray technic. My foam supplier has training for Graco Equipment, their chemicals and application info but do not teach spray technic. We are using a Glascraft A5-6000 with P2 gun. We love this equipment! Its simple and forgiving compared to other equipment and uses much smaller generator & compressor. I have the equipment and not the personnel. amazingfoaminsulation@comcast.net
Michael Fusco
Posted: Feb 06, 2010 10:35 PM
sounds like you need to explore other suppliers
Posted: Feb 08, 2010 08:18 AM
Had not heard of iso sensitively from skin exposure before. I have lots of experience with respiratory issues. On November 6, 2009 some raw iso got sprayed on my face. Thankfully, I had safety glasses on or it would have gotten into my eyes. I had a reaction and doctor prescribe "prednisone 20 Mg tablets" 1 tablet twice daily for 5 days. Prednisone really help.

After the skin exposure posting I'm now wondering if this has affect my health to a greater extent. I've had multiple test done since mid Dec and the doctors can't find anything wrong, probably because the iso manufacturers have not been forthright with all involved.

I have tried other manufacturers and until I come right out an ask about "iso" sensitivity they will not volunteer any information. And as soon as I volunteer enough information that they realize I have some knowledge they drop me like a hot potatoe.

We are trying to install foam insulation in the Rockford, Illinois market area. We had a rep that worked out of Indianapolis that was great. Then our foam manufacturer decide to take Illinois from him. Ever since they have in my opinion been poorly represented. You'd think with Chicago being the second largest city in the United States that they would have more interest in developing Illinois. They do not share leads from shows. My opinion is they think they can get builders to buy equipment and install their own foam. Builders in this area do not even install their own fiberglass so why would they do their own foam. All leads that I get I work.

I think that the only way things will change including product price reduction is for foamers to start networking.
Posted: Feb 08, 2010 08:43 PM
..somewhere,,in my archives of schtuff
i have some wonderful medical lit on mdi and iso sensitivity,,as you all have been trained to try and "search" for it,,
when i get time to dig for it,,,i will post it for you..but im to busy right now circlin the wagons...(read "foamguys"from somewhere,,headzup!!!)
think outside of your box....or not..

got some wonderful lit on compartment syndrome and the possibilities from injection injuries as well..

wait a second,,,watzdat...??

i bought a rig
off of ebay
they sell me stuff
its aok
burma shave
David Friedson
Posted: Apr 06, 2010 05:21 PM
You should:
Use a fresh air respirator, NOT a cartridge mask.
Use nitrile gloves.
Use a Tyvek suite.
Use shoe covers.

You need to have your entire body protected from iso.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.