Q&A Forums

ISO crystallizing in hoses Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Aug 27, 2007 09:42 PM
ISO crystallizing in hoses
I have a customer who let his proportioner sit for about 5 weeks without spraying. The system held 500psi steady during the extended shutdown period. When he went to spray, the ISO filter on the gun kept getting blocked. We took the side block off of the gun and ran ISO through until there were no more crystals. Went to spray, way off ratio (resin rich). We had to put the ISO drum pump in 5 gallons of gun cleaner and recirc the gun cleaner through the ISO side of the entire system for over an hour. In that time, we got about a shot glass full of ISO crystals. Once there were no more crystals, we put the pump back in the ISO and ran it into the line. We then sprayed and it was all set. Gauges right on. Has anyone else seen the ISO start to setup after only 5 short weeks?

George
Michael Flander
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 09:02 AM
George,

In our systems, we strongly urge that the system be recirced once a week to prevent that from occuring.

Fire the system up, let it move fluid using hose recirc for 15-20 minutes, and shut it down. That should prevent that from happening again.

Just my 2 cents,
Mike Flander
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 09:23 AM
Hi George.

I have not seen that kind of reaction in 5-weeks in Ohio. That is rare.

If the customer was in Florida (or similar climate) you might expect some aging of the ISO but certainly not over a weekend. Never never never over a weekend -- unless an extreme hose or moisture issue is at work.

Last option is an ISO problem at the manufacturer level but that is even more rare since the overwhelming majority of manufacturers purchase their ISO from the same source.

Most foam hoses have a butyl jacket over them to restrict moisture intrusion.

Puzzled in Piqua,

olger
Michael Flander
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 02:45 PM
Notice the edit out of the over the weekend part olger :), Came out wrong I guess. Usually what happens there is an improper shutdown of the gun that will crystalize through the gun into the hose or manifold.

In addition, if there was some crystalized iso stuck on the outer edges of any of the hoses, it could be that it finally just let loose.
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 06:56 PM
(i had some in the iso drums..the vendor had the testicular fortitude to let me know about,,,so we worked thru it,,cleaning our prefilters regularly...)
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 10:09 PM
Hi Mike. Thanks for the note. I understand better now. I agree about the crystal film in existing hoses and arbitrarly letting go. had that experience in the early 90's.
Gerard G
Posted: Oct 29, 2015 05:01 PM
I know this is an old thread but George what type of cleaner did you use to run through system? I have been recirculating every 2 weeks but think I will start every week to be on safe side.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.