Q&A Forums

Is there a better gun then the Fusion? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Tyler G
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 08:18 PM
Is there a better gun then the Fusion?
I have only ever used a A/P Fusion to spray 2 lb foam and find it to be a decent gun to use but I am wondering if there is a better one out there. Sometimes it performes with out any flaws or down time and other times your cleaing out the tip every five minutes or less. I know that there are other things at play here but I just want some other opinions on some other guns out there. We have a huge project coming up and want to make it as smooth as possible.

Thanks
clint moore
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 09:58 AM
Each manufacturer is going to say their gun is better than others. We sell about 10:1 fusion guns more than the others.I've worked with the fusion and I like it because it is simple to use and maintain but I have used the probler 2 gun as well and like the way it handles,it is lighter. My personal preference is the fusion because of less threaded parts and the ones that are threaded are large thread. Probler,GX7,D gun,Foam cat,they all have either small threaded parts or rods that get bent or clogged easily or special tools to do repairs.All of the guns work well but they all have to maintained and kept clean.Fusion I feel is the easiest.
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 11:21 AM
I think the P2 is the best design. Very easy to use, light and requires little to no maintenance. I saw a fellow sprayer using the Fusion and I wouldn't use one if someone gave it to me for free. Too much hassle to pull the manifold off and chance a crossover. Seems like a very poor design but I know there are a lot out there so there must be some people who like them (probably all the ones who haven't tried a P2 yet).

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 07:58 PM
I like the glascraft P2 over the fusion. It is easier to clean if it gets foamed up, which hasn't happened to us in over a year! The fusion gun has too many small passageways that need to be cleaned and are hard to get to.

George
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 10:17 PM
P2 for me, brethren.

oG
Posted: Dec 05, 2007 12:50 AM
I have used the fusion gun and have had nothing but trouble and well never use that gun again. I have great success with Gap Pro i have sprayed with it for 2 years now and the longest down time i have ever had was 15 min for the whole day. super easy to clean and maintain. I have never used the probler or P2 so i cant say anything about them. but the fusion is a flop.

hope this helps
Michael Flander
Posted: Dec 05, 2007 04:01 PM
The fusion has been a reliable gun for many contractors, I'm surprised to hear so much opposition to it here. The P2 and Fusion have distinct differences that lend itself to personal preference. In all reality, if the gun is maintained correctly, both should meet a contractors expectations.

I have to disagree with the comment earlier on crossing over with the fusion manifold. I have yet to see a crossover happen from connecting/disconnecting the manifold to the gun, it is virtually impossible unless you don't have the safety on and the gun is in the spray position, but this is possible with any gun...
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Dec 05, 2007 07:36 PM
I was the one who saw the crossover as a problem.

It seemed to me that when the manifold was removed and set on the table some material from one orifice could gravitate to the other orifice and cause the gun to "foam up" which might be a better term. Either way you couldn't work on one side at a time like on the P2 it was all or nothing. If you accidentally use the same paper towel to clean the seal you could cross contaminate the gun.

My 2 cents. I have no personal experience with the Fusion and prefer to keep it that way!

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Greg Pruitt
Posted: Dec 06, 2007 10:04 AM
We had lots of problems with the fusion untill we were told to grease it often. Several times per day. After that very little problems. What about the flat tip? We have not haad success with it. we can spray about 15 minutes before it clogs up. Anybody got a better flat tip, the 24" sparys beautifully.
Greg Pruitt
Posted: Dec 06, 2007 10:04 AM
We had lots of problems with the fusion untill we were told to grease it often. Several times per day. After that very little problems. What about the flat tip? We have not haad success with it. we can spray about 15 minutes before it clogs up. Anybody got a better flat tip, the 24" sparys beautifully.
Michael Flander
Posted: Dec 07, 2007 11:00 AM
Are you spraying OC or CC greg?

Granite: Understood, and good points. That could happen in theory I guess, but I have yet to see it.

I like both guns... but just get frustrated because we have hundreds of customers spraying the fusion in applications from spray foam to pavement marking to epoxies, and it is a very small portion of the customer base that have any issues at all. If you do have issues with it, the company you buy from should back it up. If it gets to the point at where you have to switch companies to get a product you can use, you as a contractor have not received the service you should have, and that is bad for the industry as a whole.

Rant over :).
Tyler G
Posted: Dec 07, 2007 07:06 PM
That is a very good point, I know that we are currently in the process of switching suppliers due to the lack of proper suport and customer service.

Thanks for all the insightful info people, very appreciated.

Tyler
Posted: Dec 09, 2007 03:58 AM
what mikey said!!!

i own and spray fusions as well as a gaggle of old dguns...
the fusions are simple,,,we do not go thru lots of parts,,,we grease when we put it together in the morning,,,we tear apart at the end of the day,,,we do not grease at all during the day...we often have to change the chamber every 3-4 hours to a fresh chamber due to the residual buildup in the chamber when hammering it on...(soak the old one while spraying with the fresh)

look,,,if you are getting snottbuggers of foam or pattern deformation and have to clean your chamber often save the time,,turn down the fluids and do a quick swap of the chamber,,takes 2 minutes in the field..(the tolerances on these big buck chambers S U c K)

one of my competitors whom i sell a set of foam to every now and again (yes i sell em to my competitor,,god bless america!!)uses a gap gun,,,i watched him after 6 hours spraying with the same gun set and it was a nice round pattern with little overspray..im sure the big G will obsolese it too....

if you are fighting your fusion you are doing something wrong,,,,even a woman could figure this gun out!! (figure of
morronic-foamer speach,,no offense intended)

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.