Q&A Forums

IR Camera? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Kyle & Son
Posted: Jan 05, 2014 09:03 AM
IR Camera?
Does anyone have any recommendations for an infrared camera. I'm considering getting one in the near future. All pros & cons are welcome.
John Shockney
Posted: Jan 06, 2014 10:18 AM
I have been looking at them for the past 3 or 4 years, and really want one. But it has been hard to justify the cost when there are people around here that will do an IR inspection for $100.

Still it would be neat to have one.

Let us know what you get.

I like the picture format that FLIR uses and their prices have come down.

Airpro
bryce kennedy
Posted: Jan 06, 2014 11:07 AM
As of right now today go to testequipment.net and buy the flir e4 it is just under 1g, it is the same hardware as the new e8 and after you do a little software change the e4 will be 320x240 resolution plus have other features enabled. First google flir e4 hack, to see what I am talking about but what you get is a 5k camera for 1k. The company will probably make it in the future so that this will not work so you need to make sure they send you a 1.9 on back firmware. Once done it is a great! camera I have one.
Kyle & Son
Posted: Jan 06, 2014 12:18 PM
cuda, thanks for the info, this sounds like an economical way to get started. Can you upload the images that this camera takes?
bryce kennedy
Posted: Jan 06, 2014 05:07 PM
Here is a link to how to do the firmware upgrade and the needed files plus there are a lot of before and after pictures, this thread is like the fastest largest growing thread on the net.
www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/

TJ Peters

Posted: Jan 08, 2014 10:53 AM
We are an authorized dealer for Flir and can help you with the E4 purchase. Here is a link to our website.

The E4 is a great camera for SPF applications. We have some cameras at our location if you are interested in setting up a time to come in for a demo.
John Shockney
Posted: Jun 22, 2014 09:29 PM
Just got an Flir E-4 that has the 1.22 software with Flir’s attempt to stop the upgrading without their approval.

I just upgraded it to the E-8 spec with a few mouse clicks using TIconfig software and it automatically makes a backup of the current software.

I got the camera from Grainger for only $866 + tax, now I have a camera with the same features as a $4,000 E-8!!

I used the camera for a few days without the upgrade and I will have to say that it is a great tool without the upgrade, but now it is even better.

Airpro
Kyle & Son
Posted: Jun 23, 2014 06:43 AM
Thanks Airpro. I've been wanting to do this myself, but I didn't want to buy one and ruin it by trying to upgrade it. Is it really as simple as you make it sound?
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jun 23, 2014 10:07 AM
We have a flir E40bx that works great!
John Shockney
Posted: Jun 26, 2014 12:09 PM
You can google Flir E-4 hack and get all the info you want on this upgrade, but the best place is on the EEVblog. There are almost 400 pages of info on this camera.

But on the page that the link below goes to there is a direct link to down load the TICONFIG software to your computer then just unzip the file and follow the instructions. Just make sure that the E-4 you get has software version 1.21 or 1.22 you can find a list of the serial numbers that covers online if you search for it.

I had a camera sent to my local Grainger store to pick up and was able to turn the camera on and access the serial number and software version in the settings menu.

There are some sellers on EBay selling upgraded cameras for $1600+ but why? The soft is easy for anyone with basic computer skills. Send me your E-4 and I would do it for $100 plus shipping.

But you better get one soon Flir is working to stop this hack.

Airpro
bryce kennedy
Posted: Jun 27, 2014 12:13 AM
I really like my e4 when I bought one of the first ones I was a little scared to brick it but the upgrades are real easy.
Tim Adams
Posted: Oct 11, 2014 09:35 AM
I have a FLIR e30bx which was around $3,000 factory-reconditioned. I'm certified Level I Thermographer thru Snell Infrared and have been since 2000.

I've never been able to make money doing it - too many roofers etc doing it as a loss leader - or in our case - for free as p[art of the roofing proposal.

They are fun, tho.
mark moyer
Posted: Oct 17, 2014 09:45 PM
see below
mark moyer
Posted: Oct 17, 2014 09:45 PM
read blog
read blog 2 or three more times

dwnload drvers and save
dwnload hack and instructions and save
look at TIC and confirm software version
buy at the right price
wait till camera goes out of warranty
patch as per instructions
or send cam to airpro,,hes a boyscout!!!

foam-it! whenever
dude :)
John Shockney
Posted: Oct 19, 2014 07:47 PM
IR camera is just a tool and I haven't gotten paid to use it, but it has helped sell some spray foam.

Airpro

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.