Q&A Forums

IPM pump problem Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Rob Granger
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 05:56 PM
IPM pump problem
My second IPM2 pump has failed. The same failure as the first. It is leaking where the ram goes into the lower part of the pump body. I am assuming the seal has failed. These pumps are both less that 6 months old and were both on the A side. Any ideas guys.
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Jan 17, 2008 06:09 PM
Hey Rob,

Give us a call and ask for service dept.

Robin
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 08:27 AM
Are you leaving the pump in the iso all of the time, or are you taking it out and storing it in a tube of solvent when you are not spraying?

George
clint moore
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 09:38 AM
ISO is hard on transfer pumps especially stick pumps because the parts of the pump are subject to the material.Consider switching to a diaphram pump on your A side. Something like a Graco Husky 716.
Is this a IP-02 pump or a IP-232C?.
Michael Flander
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 12:38 PM
With that problem maxx it is most likely a IP-02. Common with that pump. The 232-C usually has spring failures in the air motor or piston packing failures. Although it could be either. The 716 is another good option. The 1040 would be my recommendation because of the increase flow rate. Helps to deal with the ISO on those colder days :).

Speaking of which, I think the high here today is 2 degree's. Whats the weather like in Arizona today goddess?

Did you get this problem taken care of yet? I would be happy to help.

Mike Flander - Endisys
763-428-5075
Rob Granger
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 06:20 PM
George,
During our training at CPI we were never taught to take the pump out and store it in solvent. Is that something you were taught or learned on your own. What kind of solvent.. Do you dry it off before putting it into the iso again. I s there any residual iso in the pump that is going to cause problem when you start spraying again..
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 07:55 PM
I do not take my pump out and store it in solvent. I have heard of some guys doing this and my concern was if you were storing it in dynasolve that it was swelling the seal that is giving you the problem. Are you in a humid climate? Are you getting excessive iso buildup on the rod that is scratching the seal? Are you using dessicant? Are you spraying every week or is the pump sitting in a partial drum of iso for extended downtime? I have dozens of these pumps in service with next to no issues. It should still be covered under warantee. Have you spoke to Ron at IPM?

George
Rob Granger
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 08:55 PM
George,
I have not spoken to Ron at IPM. Yes it is still under warranty but I assume the same will happen to the next pump so I am trying to find out what is wrong and fix it. I use dessicants. My rig is kept heated and used about every other week this time of year. I live in NY state. I called the trainer at CPI minutes ago and he said if moisture is getting into the drum it may be crystalizing the iso and the pump has to work harder and the seal is going. He said to make sure we take the dessicant off and store the drums tite in between use. But I am looking for your feedback. Thanks
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 09:53 PM
The odds of the same person having the same problem twice for no reason are slim. The hard part is figuring out what you are doing different from everyone else. How often are you cleaning your inline filter? Is there alot of crystals in it? When you pump the iso out, is the drum getting collapsed? With a dessicant, there should not be any moisture getting into the drum, especially at this time of year.

Geo
Rob Granger
Posted: Jan 19, 2008 10:02 AM
George,
We have only checked outthe in line filter a couple of times since we have not been seeing any problems nor crystalization within. Our drums are not collapsing since we have a dessicant on and air can get into it. Our CPI trainer said we could leave the pumps in during non-activity but it was important to take the dessicant off and use the plug to close the drum up tight. I called UCSC and they said to tighten down the top nut above the seal which may solve the problem but that does not address the issue as to cause.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jan 20, 2008 12:14 AM
Excess crystalization could have been causing your issue, that's why I asked. I understand that you don't want to just fix the problem, you want to make sure it doesn't happen again. If I think of any other ideas, I'll post.

George
Michael Flander
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 10:28 AM
Clarify this for me a little bit... it started leaking, and then you rebuilt it? How long until it started leaking again?

After re-reading it sounds like it could be either the same pump twice or two different pumps...
Rob Granger
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 12:06 PM
Mike,
They were two different pumps. First one failed after about 6 months, the second failed in about two months. Since the first was under warranty I had it replaced.
Michael Flander
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 09:32 AM
So if they replaced it under warranty, it was not a packing that was leaking, it is the actual housing??

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.