Q&A Forums

InsulSoy Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 07:39 PM
InsulSoy
Has anyone worked with a bio-based soy foam (open or closed) called InsulSoy out of Macon GA?
mason
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 07:44 AM
I have not, but would welcome first hand experiences with the product.
phil Duquette
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 10:51 PM
I am an Insulsoy installer in Rhode Island. I purchsed my Rig through them as well. So far, I've only installed the .5 open cell. I like it. If you call Gary Gray at Paradigm polimers 1-478-757-9991, he'll be happy to answer any detailed questions about the product, process, rig set ups, etc.
Tell him that Phil Duquette sent you!!
Good luck!
Posted: Jan 31, 2008 07:58 AM
Thanks, Phil. Is there a distribution center nearby or are you getting shipped from Atlanta?

Do you have any plans to shoot closed cell in the near future- I'd love to come down & see if possible- I have family in Newport. My cell # up here north of Boston is 978 270-8850-Peter
phil Duquette
Posted: Jan 31, 2008 07:19 PM
As of right now, shippments are coming from GA. There is a gentleman in NH that does the training if you purchase through Paradigm Polymers, I believe he is trying to set distribution. I am going to be spraying Insulsoy170 closed cell late next week. It is a very small job. Probably take 3 hours or so.
You may want to wait until the next one to mae it worth your while.
I have had pretty good response form local contractors about the fact that it is Soy based. It seems to be turning them on!
Over the last month or so, I have had oppertunities to bid on 8 new homes. One as big as 6000sf.
I am finishing up a 3500sf house tomorrow.
I actually have fun spraying.....so far anyway.
Posted: Jan 31, 2008 08:56 PM
thanks, Phil. Please keep me posted, I'd love to come down- good excuse to see my bro. too.

Who is the guy in NH??
-Peter
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Jan 31, 2008 09:27 PM
GreenSpray,

How is adhesion with the soy foam, any shrinkage? What other closed cell foams have you sprayed?

Thanks, Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
phil Duquette
Posted: Feb 03, 2008 05:06 PM
I have applied a small amount of closed cell from Lapalla. I thought that went well.
As fas as shrinkage goes, I do notice a minimal amount when I go back the next day. On this last job, I thought that might be because my mix was ISO rich. not sure though. I Find when everything is perfect (drum temp, humity, settings, etc) The end results are quite nice with the .5 open.
Posted: Feb 04, 2008 07:55 AM
I didn't know that La Polla was selling a soy product- what is it called, and where did you get it from?
thanks.
Peter
phil Duquette
Posted: Feb 04, 2008 09:24 PM
Peter,
i apologize for any confusion! the Lapolla was not a soy based foam, but was a closed cell that I have sprayed.
-phil
Posted: Feb 06, 2008 06:14 AM
fyi,,,
iso rich foam is brittle and friable,,,
resin rich foam will "shrink back wiht time"

if you are seeing settleing(reversion),,and it you are on ratio and doin it right you have a chemistry issue....

spin this stuff and spin it long and hard...
a folding 2 blade stirrer is barely spinning the bottom of the drum,,,get a multiblade stirrer with at least 2 sets on the shaft
Posted: Feb 06, 2008 12:35 PM
are you saying that all ISO needs to be agitated- or just the with soy?
phil Duquette
Posted: Feb 06, 2008 07:11 PM
Thanks FoamDude!
I do have a decent mixer with 3 sets of blades on the shaft. I usually start that baby up as soon as I get going in the AM and let it run until I need to start getting the next drum ready.

FYI...
I sprayed the insulsoy 170 closed cell today for the 1st time. I thought it went very well. I liked it a lot.
phil Duquette
Posted: Feb 06, 2008 07:15 PM
Peter,
The ISO does not need to be mixed.
phil
SPFer
Posted: Sep 22, 2008 09:39 AM
I got started with Insul-Soy. Sprayed my first 2 sets of Inul-Soy, and never bought another set. I found the product to be terrible to work with, especially when spraying overhead, the foam would drip down. Gary Gray was hard to get a hold of once the rig was bought and gave me no leads whatsoever.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.