Q&A Forums

insulation benefit Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Terry Adams
Posted: Jan 24, 2012 11:19 PM
insulation benefit
The graphs I have seen show that closed cell benefits tops off very quickly above three inches. Where does open cell benefits top off.
Caleb DeFord
Posted: Jan 27, 2012 06:29 PM
This won't do you much good, but I'll tell you what others nameless people have told me:
6-8 inches.
mark moyer
Posted: Jan 28, 2012 06:03 PM
to prevent condensation in a cathedral ceiling: you need r19 of an air impermiable insulation MINIMUM..... 3.8x6=22 so you are right at that minimum r value where i work,,,minimum,,,and i want to be a big step away from the edge,,,so 6-8 may be good down souff,,,but up here in the cornfields of the great white north,,,10??12???15??burma shave???
its about the air barrier,,after that resisance to heat flow is resistance to heat flow this aint magic jack,,,
Caleb DeFord
Posted: Jan 30, 2012 12:20 PM
"It ain't magic"?
Well maybe what you do ain't magic, but I always considered my spray work to be magic!
I tell my customers that they will be able to heat their house with a 100W bulb and they won't even need to use a towel to dry off after the shower- the foam insulation wicks moisture out of the air and transfers it to the outdoors....year around! burma shave!
It's a rare day that I have to answer the question of how much open cell to use on a job. On the one hand, I don't use it very often and on the other, the code officials usually make that decision for me (bless their hearts.)
I'm looking forward to the day when the amount of insulation prescribed is based on performance instead of R values, but I have a hunch that day will never come, so I'll just keep playing it safe....like the dude does.
Thanks for weighing in 'dude.

-Caleb

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.