Q&A Forums

insulating roof and ceiling Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Jonathan
Posted: May 16, 2016 06:11 PM
insulating roof and ceiling
I have foam in my roof and the attic is conditioned within a few degrees of main living area. Am I conditioning extra cubic space and what would the effect be if I insulated my ceiling, slowing the conditioned air from going into the attic. I am doing this research because of high electric bills.
mason
Posted: May 16, 2016 06:34 PM
You would not gain anything and would in fact make your house less energy efficient by insulating the attic floor (living space ceiling). Adding insulation to the floor of the attic works against the insulation in your roof, making both less effective. If you have ductwork and HVAC equipment in the attic, then you are getting a energy benefit by having that space within a few degrees of the living space. Consider an vented attic space where the temperature in the attic can soar over 130 F in the summer and as cold as the outside air in the winter. The equipment has to work much harder to provide the desired temperature than in an unvented attic where the temperature is within a few degrees of the living space.

I wrote an article last year for Construction Specifier on the topic To Vent or Not to Vent. You can google it on your computer or email me at masonknowles@aol.com for an electronic copy.
lucienbenson
Posted: Jun 01, 2016 06:19 AM
Hello Jonathan, I would suggest you to consult a HVAC technician and get his advice on insulating roof and ceiling.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.