Q&A Forums

insulating hoses Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 09:34 AM
insulating hoses
I'm looking for new insulation for my hoses, from my proportioner to my foam gun. Where can I get flexible insulation for this?
Thanks
Circle-D
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 12:36 PM
I got some at a local company called Bell/Simons. Most any plumbing supply warehouse should have it. The product I bought is called Armorflex. I bought the 2 1/2" and it worked great. Skip
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 01:51 PM
The stuff around here a guy has is armaflex But he only has 1" id. It's about $1 a foot. Thanks I'll keep looking. Is this stuff flexible enough?
Circle-D
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 07:07 AM
Yes it is plenty flexible enough. I think I paid $6-$8 for a 6' length of the stuff with a 5/8" wall thickness. I thinkl it also comes in 3/4 wall. If you can't find it locally let me know and I'll get a piece and ship it to you.
Rob Granger
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 08:22 PM
Skip, HOW ARE YOU KEEEPING THE ARMOURFLEX CLOSED. TAPING EACH TIME IS A PAIN.
Circle-D
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 09:00 PM
I just use the armorflex to insulate the joints between the 50'lenghts of hose. I use the all American fastening system.....duct tape. You may have to redo them every couple of months but it isn't to bad.
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 08:53 PM
..put down a liberal layer of shrink wrap first..pull it tight to bring the group together,,,then wrap with duct tape,,,this gives you a layer of interference between the tape and the armorflex,,if you have to go into the hose section or hose coupleing you dont booger up the armor flex and just have to rewrap and retape,,,buy the expensive stuff,,, the cheap cloth duct tapes are just that,,,cheap...and will split in no time..
i bet i got a 1/4" thick of that stuff on some of my hose set,,,

...and at the end of time,,all that remained,,,was closed cell foam,,and duct tape...
John Shockney
Posted: Mar 02, 2008 07:06 PM
Check your local hvac supply house Armorflex comes in sereval sizes and types, it comes split down the side or as a tube that you have to slide over your hoses. There is also a glue for the seams or use armorflex tape.

Foamdude is right about the shrink wrap under the duct tape, and get the black duct tape from the hvac supply house it's the best I've found.

thanks
John
Airpro sprayfoam
Airpro heating & air conditioning
Rob Granger
Posted: Mar 02, 2008 08:09 PM
What kind of shrink wrap are you guys talking about and where can I get it? The shrikn wrap I am familiar with usually is in tube form and takes heat to shrink it??
John Shockney
Posted: Mar 03, 2008 07:07 AM
we use the heavy duty plastic wrap that is used to hold boxes or drums together for shipping
Circle-D
Posted: Mar 03, 2008 08:37 AM
You can buy shrink wrap by the roll at www.globalindustrial.com

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.