Q&A Forums

Insulating a roof Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Yvan Richard
Posted: May 29, 2011 11:38 PM
Insulating a roof
I have a potential client that wants to insulate their roof. There is existing insulation on the inside that has become wet and is now comprimised. We were going to pull down this comprimised insulation that is on the inside of the building and spray upwards. However, there is very expensive equipment and this would cause alot of disruption.

Therefore I suggested we spray from the outside. The steel on the roof is 10 yrs old and is a bit dirty.

My thoughts were to pressure wash the roof, spray 2" of foam (customers request)and then apply a coating. Does this makes sense (first time)?

Also, how can I control the overspray at the edge of the roof (I don't wish to insulate vehicles).

The roof has a slight slope to it and drains into an eavestrough system.
Posted: May 30, 2011 05:36 AM
one possible solution would be to
contract to an experienced spf roofing contractor
to do the roof job work,,,
professional application,,warrantied to the end user,,done right the first time,,,
and you negotiate your "fluff" with the man,,,
you win,,,
meanwhile you address the remediation of the failed insulation system over the sensitive equipment affording you full attention to the details, your crew, and your customer,,,
he will luv you..

otherwise,,im just a dumb hillbilly interior foamer,,i get dizzy on roofs,,
mason
Posted: May 30, 2011 11:51 AM
Sprayfoam roofing is a whole nuther world. You need the right foam (3 lb density) the right coating, (acrylic, silicone or polyurethane specifically designed for SPF roofing systems, plus the knowledge and skill to spray roofs.

I can help train contractors to spray roofs, but you do not want to experiment on a clients roof. Contact me at masonknowles@aol.com for a discussion on sprayfoam roofing and what it entailes.
Daniel X
Posted: May 31, 2011 12:16 AM
This isn't rocket science but does require a lot of attention to detail and consistency.

You will need to pressure wash, AND use a primer on the steel depending oelastomericn what exact material it is.

3lb foam, and an coating... DONE.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.