Q&A Forums

Install Problem Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Danny Haggerty
Posted: Nov 20, 2009 12:39 PM
Install Problem
I am having 0.5lb foam installed in my home and there appears to be some problems with the foam bonding to the walls. There are voids forming between the walls and the foam. In some areas it appears that the cavities (3.5-inch studs) are completely filled or close to it, however when you press on the foam it is very flexible and if a chunk is removed you can see where it hasn't bonded to the wall and there is a void that in some spots is 2 inches thick. Is this kind of problem common with 0.5 lb foam? Should the foam be in good contact with the wall and studs? The temperature in the area is usually very warm, but it has dropped recently into the 50s when the foam was being sprayed. Can this be fixed by spraying more foam into the voids?
mason
Posted: Nov 20, 2009 02:39 PM
I would defer to folks in the open cell foam industry that have come across this problem. I have seen what you have described but have received varying opinions as to the cause (poor mix, cold substrate, damp substrate, B side not agitated, etc).

However, to adress the problem you should be able to remove the foam and refill the area. I am not sure about trying to fill in behind the foam that is already there. Has anyone tried that method and found success?
Posted: Nov 23, 2009 06:12 AM
open cell foam should be spongy and somewhat flexible,,,
the pockets are a "common problem" with open cell foams...particularly when applied by unseasoned/experienced applicators of this type of spray foam system...
obviously,,optimum would be no voids,,,
at 50 degrees it is doubtful that the ambient temp had much to do with this condition...
yes they can inject the voids to fill the pockets...
Trey Gibson
Posted: Nov 23, 2009 06:50 AM
This is a huge problem and must be fixed by the installer. As foamdude said it is from unexperienced installers. This happens when the foam is sprayed cold. Check every cavity and make the contractor either inject it or pull it out and re-spray it. Checking for voids is a routine part of our quality control. You most likely will find the voids where the crew started in the morning and then again after lunch since that is when the foam would be cold.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.