Q&A Forums

Ignition Barrier Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
paul callahan
Posted: Jan 12, 2011 10:44 AM
Ignition Barrier
I had to get a new SPF sub contractor to finish Utility sponsored program work by the end of year deadline. The Sub-contractor was to apply closed cell SPF with an ingnition barrier in a basement. My normal sub applies a paint on ingnition barrier (usually white) which is readily apparant. However this sub stated that he applied a "clear" ignition barrier that you can not see. He stated that it is "approved in all 50 states" and can provide documentation. To date he has not provided documentation. My question is does such a "clear" ignition barrier actually exist or is he BSing me? If such a barrier exist how do I determine it is actually present. I have taken a sample of the foam in case I need to send it off to make a determination.
Bryan Kwater
Posted: Jan 12, 2011 10:59 AM
A basement should require a 15 minute THERMAL BARRIER which is different than an ignition barrier. Attics and crawlspaces typically only require a 15 minute IGNITION BARRIER. There are not many spray on thermal barriers that have passed the required testing, and the only ones that I have seen are colored. Make sure that you insist on the documentation and proof of purchase and make sure that the coating was approved for the exact brand of foam that was used, too.
mason
Posted: Jan 12, 2011 12:40 PM
Ask for his ICC evaluation report on the product and the foams it was tested on. If he cannot produce it then chances are it is not approved.
mason
Posted: Jan 12, 2011 12:42 PM
Most basements are considered occupied space and require a thermal barrier. If it has a door then it would need a thermal barrier. If it has a hatch then you could use an ignition barrier if it is not used for storage.
steven argus
Posted: Jan 12, 2011 02:14 PM
I have a bridge you can buy.
Posted: Jan 12, 2011 07:40 PM
Sounds like FE1600, which is a clear primer, not a Thermal Barrier or Ignition Barrier.
jimcoler

I have over 10 years of experience specifying and installing open and closed cell spray foam. I've sold my business but I'm still selling for the new owners and consulting on large and custom specific jobs. 

I've expanded my knowledge into t

Posted: Jan 12, 2011 08:44 PM
OK, I have agreed to the code changes even though I don't agree with them, but this is really getting pretty pathetic!Ignition barrie, Thermal Barrier, Primer, paint, etc... What's the difference when I go up in an attic and see kraft faced fiberglass up there attic after attic! Then I go up in an attic which was foamed incorrectly (which is why I was there) and see a furnace enclosed in 1/2" plywood with kraft faced fiberglass in behind it. This was not even air sealed and had a complete open airspace underneath it. So, does this meet the 15 minute thermal barrier? 1/2" plywood does, but it doesn't specify how to apply the 1/2" plywood...

So, it technically meets the 15 minute thermal barrier code requirement by being 1/2" plywood but it fails the intent of the 15 minute thermal barrier which includes heated air infiltration through the fiberglass and cracks and under the entire unit!

Besides this, it was in a bank with a drop ceiling and kraft faced fiberglass above the drop ceiling at the bottom chord of the rafter trusses. So, what's the deal here if kraft faced fiberglass isn't being enforced by the codes and our product is proven better than the kraft faced fiberglass per the SWRI attic and Crawlspace test, then why should we need to cover our product?

You know the latest approved modified NFPA 286 is bogus and it's all political! So, why not push back and say enough is enough???
Jim

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.