Q&A Forums

icynine? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
philip mullins
Posted: May 15, 2007 04:32 PM
icynine?
hate to say anything bad about anyone in the industry but,...

i got a job coming up in a commercial building. i gotta spray 67202 square feet of spf. instead of the 3 inches of cc in the original contract the client (one of the largest construction companies in the world) wanted to inquire about using 6 inches of icynine instead. i have not heard anything good about this product but, the customer is always the customer. so, i'll spray whatever he wants, for a job this size.

so i call assynine. all submittals/change orders must be in by 10 a.m. tomorow. just got this call at 3 p.m. today. so, after sittin on hold for way too long, the female on the phone tells me that yeild and pricing information is confidential. i explained my situation and she (very rudely) told me that i must fill out an application of sorts, and that if they were interested in me that then i could become a dealer for them, and only then would they share thier pricing and yeild info with me!

now, when i got into this buisness i did a lot of research before picking my supplier. my biggest deal breaker was support. every one i talked with promised me all the support in the world. now, these jerk offs have made it clear that they are not interested in supporting thier installers but, want thier installers to support them.

i may be wrong in my thinking! would any of you guys ever consider switching to another product with no real idea of cost or yield? my assumption is that these guys are recruiting newbies who have very little real knowledge about the industry. and the bad news... they are marketing the crap outta this stuff. and they are very good at it! i think its yahoos like this that will damage the spf industry. i bet if i called any supplier and told them i gotta spray over 67k next week i would have hickies all over my rump. and these guys dont wanna mess with me cause i already up and runnin.

just my 2 cents but, i think these guys are lookin to put the rest of us outta buisness boys!
Posted: May 15, 2007 05:10 PM
yo,,,
they are a franchise of sorts,,,
they want you to pay them for the privledge to spray their foam...
they are also one of the more expensive open cell 0.5 lb vendors...
did i say open cell 0.5 lb...you betcha,,,
its not icynene,,it OPEN CELL FOAM like any other open cell foam...
so..
tell the builder your delema,,tell him that they do not want to play with you,,,that they did not respond in ample time to allow even a bit of reorginazation...provide him with a tech data sheet of your open cell product ...
with proper education you should be able to apply any open cell urethane foam and meet their design specs...good luck

ps:yields like any open cell and costs about 15% more...hope that helps...

i would worry more about the larger filterglass the cellumulch people and our own material providers for trying to put us out of the everyday market...
mis and dis information and price fixing and gougeing,,,what a formula....

hickees on your butt???damn man even i cant fathom that picture....
Michael Flander
Posted: May 16, 2007 09:43 AM
Uh. Not quite sure why hickee's are being discussed here...

Go to the first Knowles post, Olger asked a similar question, and the response Knowles gave is as good of a response that I have ever heard on this subject.

And last but not least... if you sell Chevy's, and the customer mentions Ford, do you quit and go to Ford?

.2 cents
Mike Flander
Posted: May 16, 2007 10:36 AM
troutkiller.........put your selling s******s on and go educate your client to the fact that there is little to NO difference between the open cell foams and sell them what you are presently spraying I suggest as a starter. I likewise got the raw treatment from the big "I" bunch and have now sprayed a few truckloads of foam of another brand and currently at 6 months into the foam industry am in process of setting up rig number 2. Big mistake on their part I think.

Best to you ...Kenneth
philip mullins
Posted: May 16, 2007 01:45 PM
you guys are dead on. i maybe should not have posted this thread. i was just chapped in the buttox from being treated so crappy. and while i know that thier tactics will come back to haunt them, i hope they dont damage our industry with thier little schemes.

after meeting with the senior project manager this morning i learned that a rep had contacted a vp trying to convince him of the superiority of thier product. of course i pushed my product and told them that the data sheets dont lie. i will put my product side by side with thiers any day. they just wanted a price to send up the line. i was worried when i told them this mornin about yesterdays phone call that they might be shoppin for a new sprayer. instead the response i got was more along the lines of 'if thats how they wanna do buisness, they dont wanna do buisness with us.'

so, who knows? maybe im in, maybe im not. but, i will be sprayin this building at least. and if i do a good job for a fair price, hopefully i will be sprayin more for them in the future. and if they do try assynine in the future, i am sure they will be back.

and just for the record... i am the hickie MASTER. i completely covered 4 buts (realy, only three but, one was so large it counts twice) with hickies. and the guys never even got out of thier chairs. now, if y'all will excuse me, i gotta go wash this brown stuff off my chin. tx
Michael Flander
Posted: May 16, 2007 05:07 PM
What is really necessary to bring it that far? Guess they don't call you troutkiller for nothing...

Mike
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: May 16, 2007 11:10 PM
I think the new Home Foam is way better than asinine. Used two sets already. Costly, but good.

oG

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.