Q&A Forums

Icynene 1/2 lb. oc Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
John Schmaelzle
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 02:43 PM
Icynene 1/2 lb. oc
Has anyone had a problem recently with Icynene side B?
Ryan Fesmire
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 06:57 PM
I havent but having issues with BASF closed cell.
Just got my new shipment 10 days ago
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 08:29 PM
ok,,,so i have read both of your posts like twice...
so whats the friggin issues???
help us here so we can provoke useful dialoge...

ps: my basf resin has been workin just fine,,,even at 0 degrees..as is the 0.5lb we shoot,,

...your lips move,,but i cant hear what you say...
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 08:39 PM
I had a B side issue last week. It was the grease in the gun had hardened (presumably from the A) and would block some of the B side orifice of the mixing chamber. Not really a foam or B issue so much as a maintenance issue. Gun cleaned, problem gone! It is rare that the actual B component would be a problem.

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
John Schmaelzle
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 02:30 PM
We're having balance problems. The side B is coming out 1/2 as much as the A side. We've pre-heated side B. Pressures are out of balance but both pumps have been re-packed numerous times. I'm wondering if anybody has had a viscosity issue with side B being heavier than usual? The "foam" is way too heavy on the A side...hard and crunchy.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 08:37 PM
What are your pressure gauges reading. I do not have any experience with icynene, but like all .5lb foams, the B is should be thinner in viscosity than the A because of the amount of water in it.

Geo
Energy Tech Solutions Inc. - Chuck Costa
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 11:11 PM
Have used 3 1/2 trailers of Icynene in the past 9 months no problems!
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 06:12 AM
tim,,this is why we do not grease our guns,,we use some on the orings to assemble...but we unassemble our gun each day,,,sounds like you may need to rebuild the orings on the a side seal..
pia...sounds like a temp issue to me,,,i know you say you preheat,,,but remember,,if the temp of the juice in the jug is 50 degrees the MAX your machine can heat that fluid to is about 100 degrees if everything is working at 100% efficiency which is electrically impossible...it dont matter what you got the heater set at,,,it can only boost the temp so much...
second...stir the poop out of the drum,,and no, a 4"long 1" wide collapsing double blade stirrer at the bottom of the drum WILL NOT adequately adgitate the fluid,,, and is swirling the bottom 1" at best,,find a multiblade, 3 on the shaft,,stirrer,,your 1/2# will like you...

our open cell likes an inlet temp of about 70- 80 degrees for us to process well at 115 degrees
(h20-35pro)

recirculating till the hose heat shows temp is not preconditioning your drum,,,yes you need to recirc to get the stratified fluid from the hose,,and to get the fresh, circ'd fluid into the hose,,,but you need to keep the fluid drums warm enough to accomodate the machines heating capacity...why not try puttin a space heater or two in the trailer and get the temp to about 70 degrees in there for about 24 hours,,,then recirc and then shoot and see how things work for you....
let us know how things go,,,
good luck
dude

ps: same goes for the closed cell resins,,but careful,,the basf resin i have been getting has been GREAT,, but if you heat it beyond 70 degrees it can start to frothing in the drum, particularly with the agitation of the drum pump workin with it if you are hammerin it on...
John Schmaelzle
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 10:48 AM
Thanks very much for all your responces. I think we have the problem fixed. We changed the positions of the limit pins on the upper ball seats and that gave us much better foam. We're trying it on a live job tomorrow and we'll know for sure if that's the cure. I'll keep you all posted if it really solved the problem.
Michael Flander
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 02:24 PM
What machine Scott?

That seems like an odd solution because all that would do is increase inflow to the pump, which means your original problem should have been cavitation. Unless you are talking about a limit pin on a piston ball, but I can't remember if there is a machine out there with an adjustable pin on the piston....
John Schmaelzle
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 11:50 AM
Hi Mike,
We weren't getting any cavitation and the temperatures were correct. This is one of the rigs we build. In this case we're using a Graco hydraulic proportioner (Viscount II) with 8oz. per cycle bottom ends. We made the adjustment I wrote about earlier and that has fixed the problem. Before we figured out the solution I thought the problem might have been with the side B component...but it wasn't. Thanks for your interest!
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 06:00 AM
scott,,got a couple pair of hydracat lowers and a bulldog or two here collecting dust,,,one skid mounted with 4 110v viscount heaters and lowers attached just about ready to go back to the world...you need em,,,make me an offer...
Michael Flander
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 09:08 AM
Scott,

So was the adjustment on the foot valve or the piston valve?
John Schmaelzle
Posted: Feb 29, 2008 03:41 PM
It was the piston valve.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.