Q&A Forums

ICF home with Sprayfoam attic however not enough material was applied so huge Ice dams Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
jmbeam59
Posted: Jan 06, 2018 07:27 PM
ICF home with Sprayfoam attic however not enough material was applied so huge Ice dams
I have a 2400 sqft ranch with a complicated roof truss system. The Foam contractor did not apply a consistent amount of material and in some areas barely applied any! This is a bad winter with record cold temps and has huge ice cycles all over the roof line. It's really crazy and now water is entering the walls of our basement ruining the pain and sheet rocks that were glued and screwed onto the icf basement foundation.

How would be the best way to fix this? I have two 5 gallons containers of spray foam and was going to spray along the attic where the roof edge is to seal this area and then I was going to blow6-12" of glass fiberglass over the entire floor. This is supposed to be conditioned space but we do not use it for anything else besides storing a few items. There are three skylights in the ceiling. My attic is huge, it seems like this design had so much wasted space but from the outside, the home looks great because of the expansive roof,

I need to cure this heat loss problem and just wanted to be sure its ok to seal the entire attic with the spray foam and then apply a blown fiberglass blanket on top of the floor. ONly worried about all the recess lighting I have with LED and CFL lights. I don't believe they get hot enough to worry about fires.
If there was a way to add pics I would.
Thanks again

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.