Q&A Forums

I want to buy a GOOD, USED spray foam rig. Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Anthony Scarpelli
Posted: Oct 15, 2012 06:25 PM
I want to buy a GOOD, USED spray foam rig.
Hello,

I am interested in starting a spray foam company. I am already spraying with a Graco E-10 I bought used. I attended the Demilec applicators course and their tech came out to help me on my first job.

I'm also hiring spray techs (Wichita, KS) so contact me if you know someone or moving this way.

I am happy with the E-10 for spraying half pound foam in 50' d F ambient temps but soon E-10 won't be enough heat to do the jobs.

as much as I hate monopolies and the "we are the only shop in town" attitude and practices... It seems Graco is the thing to have so I'd like an E20, H25 possibly E30. Of course they have to be in good condition and spray ready to be considered (or deeply, deeply discounted <bit 2x deeply>). With that said the decision is totally dependent on the price/value wear and tear of the equipment.

I'd consider a complete rig (trailer to box Truck), or just reactor/gun in the case of E-20.

I'm not looking to pay 75 or 80% of what I can build it for new and then to take the chance on someone else's used (possibly defective) equipment so please only realistic sellers contact me. The days of selling used crap for new prices are long past in this market.
Brian Bothun
Posted: Oct 15, 2012 11:06 PM
I thought you guys (sf.com staff) approved everyone who became a member on this site. guess not..
Cory Boehs
Posted: Oct 16, 2012 09:26 PM
You know AK, I happen to know the other side of your "attitude and practices of of my local Graco dealer". I must say that I haven't found them to be that way. Your "local Graco dealer" has got me through some pretty rough waters over the last five years. And no, I am not buying parts at 40% off of retail like they supposedly told you that they would, even though we have 4 rigs, all bigger than an E10. Keep us posted on how it works with your spray techs using an E10. Possibly run it 24/7? Sounds like you have the rim joist thing figured out, may need to start sending the inquiries that I get your way......
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Oct 17, 2012 09:21 AM
You can buy a rig just about anywhere, heck I know a lot of guys that just build rigs. Most equipment dealers want to take care of their customers, we sell a rig, help you maintain it, give you support over the phone (without even making a sale) just to keep you up and running, we'll send someone if you need help with repairs, or have you bring it in, we will take parts off a brand new machine, just because you needed it. We don't set the prices, we just try to make enough to run the company, and keep everyone happy and in business > thats our goal.

I myself spend plenty of time helping customers with their generators, compressors, air dryers - finding them service...I didn't sell it to them, and I am not making any money, just help them find the nearest repair center for the issue they are having. In turn, they remember me when they can buy something from me.

So if you are happy, you'll tell someone else, and they will and so on - we stay successfull and grow.
Anthony Scarpelli
Posted: Nov 16, 2012 12:00 AM
Cory,

Since you asked, I had no experience in foam so I knew I needed to learn and figure everything out from scratch. I figured the E10 would be as easy to learn as anything else.

If your doing jobs of more than a half set of foam than E-10 can be a challenge. My first 3 or 4 jobs I knew time was not an issue so I wasn't worried.

I recently did two jobs averaging about 1 set of foam for each totaling about 36,000'.

The larger job of the two took 1 man 4 days to spray and 3 days to trim and clean. Actually I did it over 2 weeks since I owned the house and did it on my spare time, also stop and go to run by this and that. (It was about 20k').

The 2nd job was much faster as it was for a customer. I sprayed with a labor helper in 2 full days.

I order a set of Demilec OC and broke it into 22 pails, 11 orange from HD (iso) and 11 blue from Lowes(resin). I also had picked up 5 plain white pickle pails from my local sandwich bar to use for disposal, flushing, storing the pour spout (iso)in hydraulic fluid between uses. Once that is done all the material handling is piece of cake so to speak.

By my second job, I realized the chemical shipped in at 70 d F so I spray foamed a tiny temporary corner in my garage big enough to hold 20 pails and the E-10 4' x 8' x 5' and put a sheet of plywood with foam on it for a movable top. I used that space to warm the pails with 1200 watt electric heater over night.

A standard 2 wheel hand ruck makes easy handling of 3 pails at a time to load into the 12x6 trailer. (I need to rig the trailer to continue to heat or keep the chemical warm in transport).

I pull on the job, unload the E10 and pails, pour chemical in the E10 and start the e10 plugged into 2- 115v outlets supplied by the home owner, then put the next pail set in the 2 pail heaters to preheat for the 2nd round. The next 35-45 minutes or so I can continue to organize, unload or prep the job. I spray the first 10-12 gallons within about 30 minutes or so and then poor the preheated 2nd set of pails into the E10 recirculate it and setup the 3rd set of pails in the pail heaters while I spray the 2nd set. This continues until you know you are going to spray your last set of foam for the night.

(BTW-I am surprised that I am getting the 16k'+ or more yield). It is not difficult to do 3-4 sets of foam a day. I am calling a set from 2- 5 gallon pails to 12 gallons in the e10 as the hopper holds about 7 1/2 gallons per side.

I spray with an 01 chamber and fusion ap. The main inconvenience using the E10 without heated hose is that you cannot set down the gun/hose for more than a minute or two without going back to recirc to keep the chemical in the hoses the correct temps. This and having to stop every 12 gallons to refill and start over. But we get about 1500'-1800' out of 10 gallons. That is enough to do more than 200' of rim joist, a good sized room or large wall at 3" or 4."

This last job I chose to start in the basement which had outside/walk out walls and rim joist that we sprayed. Then moved it upstairs to do the main floor walls and then the roof.

I can see where 2 man on a E30 or E20 would be much quicker as I spend extra time setting up and tearing down and switch over of each set to reheat chemicals.
Jesse Michalski
Posted: Sep 16, 2013 10:55 AM
Mark Mouton
Posted: Sep 25, 2013 06:42 AM
Did you ever find a rig that met your specifications?
Anthony Scarpelli
Posted: Nov 10, 2013 10:24 PM
I let a few good deals get away from me. I need a equipment set or rig if you got one contact me ks-sprayfoam dot com.
Anthony Scarpelli
Posted: Nov 10, 2013 10:43 PM
BTW-Cory,

You do not seem to know the flip side of the story. It seems they misrepresented the situation to you to cover their arsts.

I would let it go but I feel I need to set the record straight due to their dishonesty. It was never about price. I made no bones about not wanting to be another guy who leases or spends $47k to get a rig going only to have it reposed a year later when he couldn't keep it going.

What happened was I was sourcing used equipment and found an equipment set inclusive of hankerson air dryer, 17,500 kw gas Generic, 160' of hose/whip (100' was new), 2 pumps, mixer and gas compressor all gone through and working for $12,500 off ebay which I calculated to be about half the best price buying new for the exact same equipment.

I stopped to tell my rep the deal and he shot me better prices than he had before. (low balled)...given an unrealistic price meant to spoil a possible deal with another equipment dealer on a used equipment rig.

When I asked to buy the equipment at the quoted price they fell all over themselves saying it was not a quote as they never put it in writing.

I feel this shows a lack of integrity and Dishonesty in my opinion. Yes, salesman do it all the time. But this same company brags that their worth is customer service. That is not consistent with dishonesty in any form.

I called the owner to give them a chance to redeem and he had someone down the totem pole call and promise to get back to me and of course I have never heard from them.

So I tried to give them a 2nd chance but they proved unworthy twice.
Anthony Scarpelli
Posted: Dec 10, 2013 12:21 AM
Update! We got an E-20 nearly new, very lightly used.

Thank you to the readers of SprayFoamMagazine.com as it was one of you who contacted me and swapped my E10 setup for your E20 setup.

It came with a couple of material pumps, gas generator, gas compressor, hose, fusion AP and manuals.

I am extremely happy!

We are using our old trailer for now but searching for a larger trailer or box truck to setup the rig.

Again, thanks guys.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.