Q&A Forums

How To sell SPF roofs Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Feb 26, 2011 01:03 PM
How To sell SPF roofs
It has been over 40 years since I saw the magic of an A side being combined with a B side become a solid piece of insulation within seconds. Since that time I have sold multi millions of square feet of Urethane Foam as a seamless, insulated Roof System. During the 40 years I have lived through it being hailed as the greatest roofing system ever to a moon crater roof that birds eat.

Most of the general reasons for people to buy something I have found price and quality to be the biggest motivators in the decision. Let’s look at each separately starting with price.If you consider “low” to be the true definition of price you do not belong in sales but I will go over a very simple means for you to be low, make money and sell without compromising or cutting corners.

You need do nothing more then look up in the air. How high up? Over 5 stories in the air. The reason for this is quite simple. Your competition that applies BUR, Single Ply or Modified Bitumen has to start elevating their materials. On a 10 story building it is not unusual to see prices of $1000.00 and more a roofing square for conventional roofing. As an SPF Roof Contractor you merely have to get your dual heated hose to the top (we never had a truck and machine with less than 400 continuous feet of hose on it.

Yes, there are customers where price alone is the only objective. Qualifying a potential customer on the phone can save you a lot of time and money. Through questioning you may find they own a one story strip mall, do not use any of it themselves and plan to sell it in about 5 years. I am going to advise them that we only offer premium roof systems designed to last the life of the building and we are usually, if not always the highest price. If they are the owner chances are you will be thanking each other for your time and get on with life. If it’s a property manager or secretary they may have been instructed to get 10 contractors to get 10 prices and want you to come so it lessens the list of contractors they need to bid. Now if you take this same scenario with the one story strip mall and the owner plans on keeping it for his Grandchildren and runs a major printing or metal fab business out of it then I'm going on this appointment but insist on a meeting so I can show and explain my price and what they are truly getting for the money. I never went on slide the proposal under the door appointments.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.