Q&A Forums

How many sets/day average? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Mike Lieto
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 08:24 PM
How many sets/day average?
Hello all,

How many sets per day are you/you sprayers averaging. Please list house type as this is important. Primarely the houses I spray tend to be 8-15000 sq. ft. customs. I can only manage a half set to 1 set per day, Demilec .5 lb. Lately my boss has been adamant that I spray 2 sets/day. Is this feasible? He claims every other sprayer/company in the industry sprays no less than 2 sets/day. Please be honest; I am pushing as hard as I could. Is this all smoke in mirrors or is this really industry standard?
philip mullins
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 11:10 PM
one set a day is pretty good. most machine will only push one set a day if you just walked outside and held the trigger down all day. i have heard guys say that they got 2 sets in a day but, i dont believe them.
if'n it were me, i would tell ur boss to kiss my rebel dick. but, that sort of attitude is why i am self employed in the first place.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 11:14 PM
We only average a set a day. I have sprayed a couple of sets in a day, but it was on a big, wide open garage. Has your boss ever sprayed?

George
Trey Gibson
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 06:47 AM
One set a day is good. On a big roof deck we have sprayed 1.5 to 1.75 but it is on rare occasion. I doubt your boss has ever picked up a gun so tell him to get after it and see if he can put out two sets.
Arville Brown
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 05:14 PM
today i sprayed 1 set in 6 hours closed cell foam. i have sprayed 2 sets several times in a day but you got to keep the trigger pulled.open cell i spray 2 sets no problem if thers a big area.
Arville Brown
Brian Ahrens
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 05:31 PM
Are the houses ready for you to spray walking in, or are you spending half the day just getting ready? How many are on your crew? How long have you been spraying? Do you have a lot of waste? I would rather have a worker spray a lillte slower than waste most of the profit. We spray the same product, our avge is 1-1.5 a day, but my husband does not ever stop, even if I complain. Each house is very different most large houses are complicated. Maybe your boss would like to spray for a day. That gun gets heavy after awhile. Good luck to you.- Nicole
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 05:46 PM
if my crew makes 1 set a day closed cell i am happy...this is in uncomplicated sidewalls,,,you know up to 12 foot tall or less...
tell the boss 500 sq ft q hr of r-19 closed cell is perty good in uncomplicated sidewalls...
remind him your rate of application is directly to your support staff,,and that for maximum efficiency he should afford a 3 man crew with rotating sprayers,,,each at about 1.5 hour stints..then you can knock these big girls down..then tell him to get you another rig so you can have 2 guns going at once for the first 4-5 days in these big girls,,tell him this will get it done...
then watch him shut the hell up...
keep the trigger pulled..
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 05:57 PM
5.6 sets a day is the record so far.

olger
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 07:06 PM
There are crews that spray a set in 25 minutes, but that isn't residential insulation. Just pull the trigger until the pump hammers! I would love to do that. The big Glas-Craft MH could handle that. The low end Graco E-20 could spray a set in 50 minutes wide open. Not real practical though. I think a set a day average is good, there are a lot of days I am short of that goal though! I guess that is the beauty of working for myself. No one to impress. I did spray a set in under 4 hours once though.

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Eric Machemer
Posted: Jan 10, 2009 03:24 PM
I believe the measurement that is most important is how many man hours. When we look at total production, we look at drive time, masking and prep, heating time in the winter, trigger pulling, clean up and drive time back to the shop. We are paying for all these hours, so they should all be counted.

For typical new construction, we average about 25-30 man hours per set.

What do the rest of you average?
SPFer
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 03:20 PM
Are you including prep and cleanup? It is a tough question with alot of variables. However, our general goal is 1 set/ day with a 3 man crew.

My question is, how many sets per month are you guys averaging? I am going to post a new topic asking that question.
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 10:32 PM
foamrun,,,,~12 man hrs/set
Eric Sparks
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 01:51 AM
i have sprayed a set in a da never anything more, that is cc foam. im using a small machine also.
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 06:49 AM
oh yeah,,,
and then we did spray 9 sets cc in 8 hours on a hugh slab on grade,,,
pumpin from the mack supply truck to the sprayrig rear drum,,,
feedin the workin front drum with the rear drum..
we had an 8686 in for that job as i remember,,,
pressure up,,,
hammer down,,,,
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Mar 14, 2009 07:51 AM
We sprayed 7 sets in a day on a roof with our GAMA G250 last year. Our record is 9 sets on a roof with one machine. My brother just sprayed 5 set of 2lb (over head) a couple of week ago. Keep in mind though that we both have about 30 years experience spraying foam and coatings.
As far as 1/2lb., I know a couple of contractors and they get about 1-11/2 sets on the larger homes.
Have you boss come out on the job for a day or two and see if he can do it better!
Posted: Mar 14, 2009 11:22 PM
If it is hot outside, you are rockin doing 7-9 sets a day on a roof.

I usually bulk up in the winter because once the summer hits here in South Louisiana, I know that I am going to lose no less than 3-5 pounds a day on big jobs.

Atleast thats what I keep telling myself in the winter.
Robert Buchmeier
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 06:54 PM
I have a couple 20/35 high out put rigs and we spray 11-12 sets out of each rig in a day. We have P-2 guns with #4 chambers and tips. You can get more if the weather is in your favor. Good luck spraying.
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Mar 20, 2009 12:33 PM
The 20/35 is truly a great machine...in the right hands. If your putting out 11-12 sets in a day of good foam on a roof with one machine then your a top notch applicator. Always glad to hear about other quality minded, capable foam contractors.
I've been reminded that we have yet to crank-up our GAMA 250. I've always liked the 20/35 though. Should be interesting this year.
sprayaway

Posted: Mar 21, 2009 04:12 AM
Macs, looking forword to here more about your gama when you get a chance to crank it up. I here a lot of storys about many sets per day, but the BIG KEY is to Control it with Quality. Macs, you are truly a Master at this. I remember Many Many Many years ago you helped me out and schooled me on a project with a AR-Gun and the old H-II that had been tweeked a little and was in to our 13th set by the end of the day. That machine never stoped but for 10 seconds or less for a change over. Although can put out a little more with the H20/35, Cant help but to wonder what could of been on that project if we were using todays technology back then. SO CRANK THAT BABY UP!
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Mar 22, 2009 06:52 AM
Hey Acrylic55, I had forgotten about that job. I guess it's been about 20+ years ago. Thank's for the reminder! When it comes to out-put, I'd love to talk about spraying coatings. But this is Spray"foam".com. I may be cranking up the G-250 sooner than I thought, I've had a couple contractors contact me for help. ASAP.
I think we've gone off track with this post a little. Sprayer - the author, was referring to interior foam. I don't do a lot of interior so maybe one of you interior guys can jump in here.
JohnPeters
Posted: Jun 06, 2009 05:22 PM
Wow!

I must be in the dark when it comes to an applicators ability to spray. I feel like I just entered a pissing contest and found out I can only reach a couple of inches.

1 set per day is our average. With an 02 spray tip I have sprayed 1.5 sets of CC in a day (7 hours of spraying w a lunch break). 1.5 sets of OC is no problem in a day.

What kind of initial passes are you guys making? Keeping your initial pass to a 3-4" minimum, how are ya'll able to do this? How long are you waiting before you apply the second pass?

jp
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Jun 08, 2009 08:50 AM
Every project is going to be different. If your only doing projects that have a lot of obstacles then 1-11/2 sets may be a good day.
john thompson
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 10:12 AM
Acrylic55,
A few weeks ago we sprayed an avg of 3.5 sets per day of the open cell all overhead on a 294000 bf job. That was with a new crew that had been trained, as well as being supervised by someone that was very efficient at the application of the foam, as well as being efficient in setting the jobs up so they would run smoother than normal. We had minimal waste do to trimming and overspray on this job especially when compared to how we did prior to the training. I would highly recommend training by a reputable person prior to starting larger jobs.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.