Q&A Forums

Hose Heat Problems Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Spraydude
Posted: Apr 17, 2014 03:54 PM
Hose Heat Problems
We have been having a hose heat issue for some time now and I am looking for suggestions as to what this could be.

We have an H25, 200' hose plus whip. We run hose heat at 117, primary A and B are at 113-115. This equipment is only 1.5 years old. On the auto heat setting the hose will heat up but not even get close to enough to spray good foam. It takes forever to get to the set temp and then once the light starts flashing indicating at set temp, the material is just fire hose out of the gun and the hose is barley warm/cool to touch.

If we bypass FTS and switch to analog we can set it to 45 amps and the hose will heat up. Once we start spraying it gets too hot since 45 is too much and then we have to dial it down to get good foam. 37 amps would normally be ideal but the problem is once we set amps to below 42 amps we get no hose heat at all. At 42 amps and above we get heat but ends up too hot so we cannot get to a happy medium.

We have changed out the FTS to a new one and still have the same problem. We have continuity throughout the hose, we have swapped the hose heat control module with the A-side control module and that did not change anything. We have replaced the silver main heater control module with a 1 month old one from an E20 (which is identical and I am told is the same part) and this also makes no difference.

When testing for amperage with an amp clamp we get:

When set to auto and heating up: 37 amp reading but the machine says it is putting out 45.

Whatever we set amps to, the amp clamp shows 5 amps less on the hose than the machine says it is putting out.

I have spoken to reps, techs, graco, maaco, everyone and I cannot figure out what is going on.

Anyone seen this before? any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Raymond Brooks
Posted: Apr 17, 2014 05:22 PM
Most likely it is the purple wire connecting the fts to the machine. a connector is loose or broken, and or the purple wire has been worn through and two of the wires are touching. Your temp reading on the machine is not just what the fts is reading, but also the avg of all the connections. Therefore a break in your wire reading ambient temperature will lower the avg, making your actual hose temp as you described "lava." If you would the process of diagnosing and fixing, send me an email with your contact info and I will get back to you.
Spraydude
Posted: Apr 18, 2014 02:06 PM
I was thinking this could be the problem but if that were the case wouldn't we be getting error codes?

We get no error codes at all and the machine will not switch to manual unless I actually disconnect the purple wire at the machine.

I have will send you pm with contact info.

Thanks
Spraydude
Posted: Apr 24, 2014 10:03 PM
Just FYI, we solved our problem. In case anyone ever has the same issue...

We were getting only 208v on average from our generator to the machine. We had the output raised to around 220 on average and the the hose now works like a dream.
Bob Silverman
Posted: Apr 28, 2014 09:58 AM
"Your temp reading on the machine is not just what the fts is reading, but also the avg of all the connections." Not picking on Arbro, but this is incorrect. Temp reading on the hose is from the FTS only.
Mike Cerqua
Posted: Dec 09, 2015 09:46 PM
Is bob's statement correct? I was told the same as mentioned above if you have a loose connection or wires touching I will take a reading of where the wires touch in the purple cable...my hose temp readings are jumping allover the place from 110 to 120 I want to have 120f I figure it looks like I'm getting readings from diffrent locations...I tried to patch a temporary purple cable cable past the one length I think might be the problem but I'm getting the same results
Seumas
Posted: Dec 21, 2017 04:22 PM
We are having issues with out hose is only getting to 135 then fluctuates and jumps all over the board down to 68. We have checked the purple wire and see no problems there. We have barrel blankets on the barrels and keeping the temp of the barrels where they need to be. What suggestions do you have?
Seumas
Posted: Dec 21, 2017 04:23 PM
We are having issues with out hose is only getting to 135 then fluctuates and jumps all over the board down to 68. We have checked the purple wire and see no problems there. We have barrel blankets on the barrels and keeping the temp of the barrels where they need to be. What suggestions do you have?

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.