Q&A Forums

High rise Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
steven argus
Posted: Mar 29, 2011 09:39 PM
High rise
How are you roofing guys spraying high rise buildings? Yea, I know, dumb question.

We're working on a bid for a 20 story building, spraying walls and ceilings, all 20 floors. We have an H25. Can we go straight up 200'? Sure we can bump up the pressure but is that too much head pressure for an H25? I'm considering breaking down the rig and moving the equipment upstairs.

Yes, I could have done a google search, used my common sense or read my user manual. But why not go right to the guys who do it every day, right? Thanks guys.
Posted: Mar 30, 2011 07:29 AM
..remember,,,commercial is a cluster,,,
our 300' of hose was able to make 4 floors up and about 150' of floor length ,,,this with the trailer right outside of the structure,,,,so im thinkin,,,and hopein that i will get 6 floors if we move the trailer on down to the opposite corner,,,chinese fire drill with the spray rigs,,
moving end to end the higher we go...
Daniel X
Posted: Mar 30, 2011 09:21 PM
Guiness, 20 stories is quite a ways up for someone who usually works out of a trailer at grade level... You'll never have enough hose to go up 20 stories and then work the entire perimeter...

What we would do in this situation (as long as there's a way to get drums/equipment up, crane, zoom-boom, construction-elevator), is set up a proportioner on a pallet or casters and operate from every couple of floors, less hose is better.

Not sure how your access and equipment or elevator situation though.
steven argus
Posted: Mar 31, 2011 10:05 AM
Thanks for the constuctive answers. dl123, we're up in the air all the time. 50% of our work is commercial. Not quite sure if your bashing me or not. You should consider adding some "LOL's" here and there. It may lighten up your tone a bit.

I prefer to go up the side of the building. Moving gear up an elevator seems like a waste of time to me. We may have to do that for the top 6 floors, maybe.

My plan would be to add 100' of hose to our 200' and go up the side of the building. The footprint of the building is relatively small. Move the rig around as needed. (chinesse firedrill,LOL)

My biggest concern, however, is our h25's ability to push foam straight up 200' at the most. 200' straight up is about 2 gallons of foam in a 1/2 inch tube. I know if I crank the pressures up, it will push it up. Just wondering if any of you roofing guys (or anybody) have done this before? I'm sure no roofers are spraying with an H25, just thought someone may know.
John Shockney
Posted: Mar 31, 2011 06:37 PM
Ok guiness
Let’s look at this scientifically if you are pumping a fluid vertically you have to overcome the weight of the fluid in the vertical column if this were water it would be roughly one atmosphere of pressure per every 33feet this means that you will need to increase the pressure by 14psig for every 33feet up that you pump to compensate for the pressure loss.
But I think that you will find the friction that the fluid exerts on the side walls of the hose reduces the flow and pressure to the gun more than the height. My friend that has a painting company and does a lot of high work runs ½ inch hose most of the way to his paint gun and then uses ¼ inch hose the last 25-50feet to keep the pressure loss at the gun to a minimum.

Also I would be concerned about the weight of the hose and the strain on it, I think that I would support the hose at every other floor as I was going up. Just a thought.

I have only sprayed a four story building and the thought of doing 20 would be a challenge I’m like foamdude, I sure like residential work quick in quick out and get the check (or cash!!)

Airpro
Daniel X
Posted: Mar 31, 2011 08:00 PM
Not bashing at all, I do mostly commercial as well but we don't have many buildings that tall here...

The building footprint and how many walls are in the way to weave through/around are key factors here...

We've run our hydraulic Glascraft rigs 200ft' straight up without issues before, it didn't spray much different at the same settings we use for ground work.
ChrisIgna
Posted: Mar 31, 2011 10:12 PM
Just buy a job box!
quentin
Posted: Apr 01, 2011 02:51 AM
I'd just set the equipment on a roller pallet able to fit in the elevator. Running an air hose up wouldn't be a worry but why have a heavy spray or supply hose with the strain on the connectors hanging on the side of a building when you will likely have to do that for the last parts anyways? Add a prep day to the bid and prestage the barrels of foam, then it should only take 20-30 minutes each time you have to move a level. Roll it on the elevator, go up, get out, reconnect the air and electric and drop the sticks in the new barrels.

Also saves you dropping the money in more hose if you don't need to since you will need to figure and build something to move things anyways. Yeah, I am a cheap bastard and figure sometimes the time is less costly than the little extra speed you would get. BTW, PCV with endcaps on the bottom makes a great holder for your stick pumps and a little spray paint to color code them on the pallet you will need to set up anyways saves mixing that part up.

Two bits worth from me.
Posted: Apr 01, 2011 06:41 PM
Best advice I got on this pages was how to spray high rises. We tie off at every 50' to support the weight evenly on the hose.

I can't imagine having to bring my Gama to a roof, but it could be done if I had to.
Jesse Michalski
Posted: Oct 03, 2013 09:51 AM
Recently sprayed a 9 story commercial job, all perimeter. The gang box is the only way to go. . You can use an E20 gang box and tap into shore power (coordinate well with electricians), and have full control over what's going on.
Posted: Jul 30, 2015 11:48 PM
Intech makes a unit called the 747. It is a fully self contained cart with proportioner, transfer pumps, hose(up to 200') gun, generator and compressor all in one.
Fits into elevator or can be hoisted to roof.
I have seen it used before for high rise buildings and for roofing on low rise adhesives.
Intech makes a unit called the 747. It is a fully self contained cart with proportioner, transfer pumps, hose(up to 200') gun, generator and compressor all in one.
I have seen it used before for high rise buildings and for roofing on low rise adhesives.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.