Q&A Forums

Heard some strange info from a foam rep today Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Demian Kolb
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 11:16 PM
Heard some strange info from a foam rep today
As the owner of a metal airplane hanger, I spoke with a Dem!la( rep today that said I should have open cell foam installed instead of the CC. He stated the CC would make noise LOUDER in the metal hanger as it nothing to quiet noise from outside. He said open cell was the way to go as it would make it quieter inside. We are putting in a living quarters in the top of the hanger so quiet would be nice as it is at an airport. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!
Luke Kujacznski
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 08:29 PM
Quieter, maybe but the true fact is open cell does not adhere very well to steel and since steel is prone to sweating I would stay away from open cell and stick with closed cell.
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 09:22 PM
If the insulation is going to be the finish, you don't want open. You can control the finish of the insulation much better with closed.

I agree with adhering to metal. Open will do it but I feel much better with close. Don't know if sweating would bother it since the open is fully adhered and there is nowhere for the sweat to form on the inside but maybe it's possible. We haven't seen that problem yet.

Tell the salesman that you want closed and then see what he tries to sell you.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 07:29 AM
closed cell foam will help deaden the sound...open cell has slightly better #'s.,,and closed cell is less effective with vibrational sounds but the sound deadening in metal buildings is dramatic with either product applied...
i too would apply a 3" lift of CC to the lid 4" if you can afford it..this would afford you the best thermal performance you can obtain and provide you good sound deadening properties...

airport='s lots of noise...if there was a lot of airspace/depth below the CC and the finished cieling you may want to consider OC to top the CC for the additional sound deadening (as well as additional thermal)performance..it would be less expensive for you and it would be "cheaper" to do it now than to try and do it later...

i have shot a few metal post framed buildings with OC with good results,,,i apply sidewalls at 6" minimum and demand that it be lined as it will not stand up to the rigors of a working shop,,as well as the thermal barrier issues....

hope this helps....
Demian Kolb
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 03:47 PM
You guys are telling me exactly what my research was telling me. The Dem!lac company as a whole seems stuck on the open. They were really pushing it for my wood framed home as well. When I asked "Well, then WHAT do you even use the CC for?" their answer was "exterior of a commercial building". They acted like they REALLY didn't want me to use the CC inside my home or the hanger. We'll be spraying this ourselves (we have an older machine) and would appreciate ANY input you guys would have on product useage and brands. Thanks again!

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.