Q&A Forums

Has any one compared foam vs Roxul insulation Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Barry Wallett
Posted: May 07, 2007 05:28 PM
Has any one compared foam vs Roxul insulation
When you are in the field has anyone compared foam vs mineral wool product called Roxul.

I have just heard about this product and I have not done any homework. My friend in Canada has just used this product recently. From what I was told it is a fire retarder with an R value comparable to open cell. The cost is more than fiberglass but less than open cell.

Any info on this topic would be appreciated, since I am going to be insulating my new home soon (hopefully)

Just so it is clear I want foam, just want to know my options!(yes newbie foam is good)

Barry
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: May 07, 2007 09:36 PM
Why would you want it? The only advantage is a better fire rating. Notice that their website doesn't list cellulose in the comparison chart. Presumably because cellulose has a similar fire rating (you can melt a penny by placing it on top of a handful of cellulose and melting it with a torch. Doesn't hurt your hand.

Foam meets the Building Code fire requirements with drywall over it.

Foam's insulation & sealing qualities are unparalleled.

If your primary concern is only fire, then go for it. You might also use steel studs and tile floors everywhere too. I would guess that the cost of Roxul is somewhat high. I can't forsee any scenario where you would recoup that cost through energy savings. You wouldn't.

You could use it in bedroom/bathroom interior walls as a sound retention, but we like Ultra Touch better.

good luck,

oG
Barry Wallett
Posted: May 07, 2007 10:14 PM
Hi Olger,

I wouldn't say I want it, I am just smart enough to ask people like you for info.

Thanks!

Barry
Richard Russell
Posted: May 08, 2007 10:06 AM
Roxul is a batt material that fits between studs. The first thing that comes to mind is how it compares with FG with respect to the flow of temperature-induced convective air movement within the batt at very cold outside temperatures. Foam doesn't do that, cellulose apparently suffers very little or not at all from that, but FG is terrible (measured so). Where would Roxul batts perform? On their site, the density is listed as 2 lb/cu.ft; don't know if that means anything with respect to the air loop issue. Don't know if this helps clarify or just adds to the uncertainty.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.