Q&A Forums

Gun Question Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
painter213
Posted: Oct 06, 2008 10:46 PM
Gun Question
Ok. This is my first post here. I have just sat back and slowly watched as post were made and replied to. I have a question. Why is it that very few people like to use the Graco MP Fusion Gun? I thought that this would make for a great topic. I am always looking to learn and I figured I would ask and see what everyone says. Now, I love to use the MP Fusion gun myself. I spray mostly polyurea, but I have sprayed a fair amount of closed cell foams for tank insulations and a few roofs, and I had no problems with the MP Fusion gun during these applications. I would just switch out a tip ever once and a while. I have had pretty much no problems with it and I can trouble shoot it very easy. I have no problems with the tips clogging with polyurea and She works hard for me. The air purge though is differnt. Constantly having to drill out the chambers and dealing with leaking side seals. I have not tried the Clear Shot gun and I really do not like the idea of shooting a foreign liquid into my coatings while I spray. But, I have not tried it so I really know nothing about it. So please tell me the down sides to the MP Fusion Gun. I would just like to hear some of them. I am not trying to start a argument here. I am just looking for information is all. This site has a fair amount of ativity going on in it and I figured why not ask the question. Looking forward to hearing back from everyone.

Sincerely,

Benny Abbott

Abbott Consulting and Coating Inspections
NACE Certified Coatings Inspector #7953
205-717-0292
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Oct 07, 2008 08:06 AM
Hi Benny,

Here is my 2 cents... I am a Graco distributor, so I have about 10 people who use and love the MP gun. This is primarily used for polyurea applications by these contractors, and I don't know of them having any other problems other than adjusting the valving rod. Once they learn, they are good and love the gun. Its a great gun for that application, and some of them also use it for roofing foam applications.

Some say, it provides a better mix when using the XR mixing modules. I would say this is true based on the foam & poly samples I have seen produced with the gun/module configuration. I have had the luck of seeing a lot of different samples sprayed with each gun. Now keep in mind, each mfr of foam will provide diff. results (I work for a foam mfr) and will have their own opinions, based on their foam/poly.

Good luck.
Linerman
Posted: Oct 07, 2008 06:15 PM
I already replied to this post on polyurea.com but I'll reply here as well.

I've never used MP guns and have heard from several people that they're a pain in the neck to work with, such as always having to tear them down, purge rods sticking plus AP guns are cheaper and are of a simpler design so I think that has to do with alot of it.

Jump To Forum:
Polyurea Questions & Answers
painter213

www.specialty-products.com

Benny Abbott

Phone: 205-717-0292

NACE Level III #7953

SSPC PCS # 2014-529-139

SSPC CCI Level II #64351

Posted: Oct 07, 2008 09:14 PM
I agree. The XR mix modules are the only ones to use. I love the gun, and I hope that Graco does not get a wild hair like they do and discontinue them. I have had a few issues with a United Coatings foam with the purge rod sticking closed. But it took just a little twist on the adjustment screw to get it turned loose. I found that if I was going to stop spraying for a short period of time with the foam, to just put the gun on safety and trigger the gun a few times and then when I came back to it, I not sticking. Very simple. I have never had a sticking issue with spraying polyurea. Just the United Coatings foam. No ones else's foam. Keep the comments coming.

Benny Abbott

NACE Certified Coatings Inspector #7953
205-717-0292
Posted: Nov 07, 2008 03:31 PM
Benny,

How do you adjust the back packing on the MP fusion? Has it leaked on you? Guns like GX7 have the packing nut where you can get a wrench on it.
painter213

www.specialty-products.com

Benny Abbott

Phone: 205-717-0292

NACE Level III #7953

SSPC PCS # 2014-529-139

SSPC CCI Level II #64351

Posted: Nov 07, 2008 03:33 PM
I have had the back packing nut to leak only a handfull of times. Generally on start up. I always make sure that the backing nut is tight before I start. Everytime I flush the gun and clean it out, I always take the front head off the gun and just give the packing nut a gentle turn. This makes sure that the packing is snug and should be leak free. There is no tools needed for removing the front head and this takes about two minutes to remove, tighten and replace. To tighten the packing nut you just use your handy 5/16" nut driver. Hope this helps.

Benny Abbott
(205)-717-0292

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.