Q&A Forums

Gun Flushing Kit Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Brad Smith
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 08:40 PM
Gun Flushing Kit
How many of you guys are using a gun flushing kit?

I am think of purchasing the graco canister flush kit,is it worth it?

What chemical are you flushing it with?

Also how often do you tear your guns down?

I dont spray everyday and right now if Im not spraying the next day I tear down my gun at the end of that day, is this necessary?
Brian Bothun
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 11:43 PM
Personally, I don't tear my gun(s) down until there is an issue. In my opinion, if the gun is working fine when you set it down why do you need to clean it? It takes hardly anytime to tear down a fusion ap but at the same time why do it if theres not an issue?

I can see flushing the gun if its going to be sitting for an extended period but at the same time shouldnt you be flushing the lines also to prevent the iso from crystalizing? (sp?)
Brad Smith
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 10:17 AM
Thank you for your reply.

So if I am spraying the next day it would be ok to a regular gun shutdown?y pattern was off and I had to switch the mixing chamber.

The only time I tried that the next day m Up until now I have been taking front of gun off and throughly cleaning each component.

If I am not spraying for a week I usually start up and recirculate materials through hose.

If I should be doing more please explain what should be done.
Dean Nash
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 12:06 PM
Q: I am think of purchasing the graco canister flush kit,is it worth it?
A: Having never been a fan of wasteful spending, I never promoted the flush kit however-one of my customers in Texas, HCS foam, swears by it and wishes they would have purchased it 3 years ago when they bought their rig.

Q: Also how often do you tear your guns down?
A: There are "tweakers"(borrowed from JR)that feel the need to tear the gun apart, along with other items, daily which is not necessary. There are a couple of small steps that you can take at the end of the day to insure that you aren't leaking material by the side seals prior to shutddown but with anything ISO and especially in your case, you'll need to make sure that any ISO residue is removed or minimized. The flush pot, in your case, may be advised.

Q: I dont spray everyday and right now if Im not spraying the next day I tear down my gun at the end of that day, is this necessary?
A: Not entirely. Depends on how long the gun will be sitting idle and what steps you take in shutting it down.

Happy to discuss further-we maintain up to 10 rigs a month from different applicators and each has their own technique. Some work well others don't.
Joe
877-342-3413
Davy Hamilton
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 10:44 PM
Trumpline, my name is Davy with HSC Sprayfoam. As Joe mentioned, we love the flush kit. We were having the same issues you were having until we finally broke down and bought the flush kit. All you have to do is take the gun manifold off and install the manifold that is on the flush kit. We use Dynasolve in our kit. We only take our guns apart when we notice chemical getting by our side seal o-rings. The only think I do not like is that the Dynasolve eats the rings up pretty fast. But we have become experts at tearing the gun down and installing new o-rings on the side seals and check valves. I hear many people say that all they do is grease their gun and they do not have any problems. That just did not work for us.

We certainly appreciate all the help Joe has been for us. He is very knowledgeable and has helped us out many times on many issues.

Davy Hamilton
806-477-2331
clint moore
Posted: Feb 25, 2011 12:45 PM
What type of gun are you using?
Brad Smith
Posted: Feb 25, 2011 01:53 PM
Brad Smith
Posted: Feb 25, 2011 01:53 PM
Using the fusion AP, have a flush kit ordered.
Daniel X
Posted: Feb 25, 2011 09:46 PM
Dave Hamilton, what problems did the original poster say he was having?

I don't do anything with my gun unless there is a problem... if you understand how the gun works then you don't need to tear it down daily...

Why would you use a solvent that eats o-rings if you insist on using the flush kit?

You've become "experts" at changing side-seal, and side-seal housing o-rings? It's not exactly rocket science, and you likely would go through fewer o-rings if you weren't using such a harsh solvent, or sliding the side seal housings in and out of the gun daily.

I just don't understand why people insist on making the gun more complicated than it needs to be... use your drill bit and some solvent to clean out the mixing chamber if you can't get a good pattern... inspect the check-valve screens if you're having slight pattern issues... if an o-ring is leaking replace it... Beyond that, every time you open up and put back together your gun, you're causing unnecessary wear on all of your o-rings...

Do you tear down an engine that idles well?
Davy Hamilton
Posted: Feb 26, 2011 12:28 AM
I am not sure the original poster did say exactly what trouble he was having. He did say however that he was tearing the gun down after each job if he was not planning to spray the next day. I assume he was having trouble or he would not have been asking for suggestions.

By becoming experts at changing the side seal 0-rings, I simply mean we can do it fast if it needs to be done. It is not rocket science I agree.

It seems as if the side seal o-rings will last approximately 5 spray jobs. We do not tear the gun down unless we have trouble with the o-rings. I like many other people on this site have gone to a Viton aftermarket o-ring for the side seals that can be purchased in a package of 100 for less than $10. That is why if a o-ring goes bad I simply do not hesitate to take the side seals out, replace all the o-rings, put it back together, and in a matter of 2-3 minutes we are back in business.
Dean Nash
Posted: Feb 26, 2011 06:52 AM
Dave
I seriously doubt that satisfaction will be achieved by the previous poster from your response but I would take it with a grain of salt. With SPF products and their differences as it relates to temperatures, its reasonable to conclude that what works in Canada may not work as well in the panhandle of Texas.
Using a product that eases ones working experience is smart regardless of geographic location. Judging ones choice of what works is petty.
Linerman
Posted: Feb 26, 2011 01:20 PM
I've never used the flush kit all I do is soak all parts with liquid component in lacquer thinner only if I were to do a thorough clean, otherwise I just pop all old o-rings off and put new ones on. I find that Viton o-rings only last about 2weeks regardless of how much product has been pushed through the gun. But if one wishes to break the gun down after or before every job shouldn't matter. If thats what they feel comfortable with. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Feb 27, 2011 08:59 AM
We had a p2 on our loaner rig that we could let sit for a month without touching the gun. If your gun is put together right, and the orings are good, you shouldn't be taking it apart much, other than cleaning the filter. The side seal orings and the cartridge orings do not move and should not be wearing out in 2 weeks. Are you putting a light coat of white lithium grease on them?

George
Linerman
Posted: Feb 27, 2011 05:46 PM
I grease all o-rings and slide ports. I am using FKM(viton) black 75 durometre orings as I was told thats graco's orings. I am super anal about ensuring clean surfaces. My gun is used and some the black finish has been removed when purchased, if that makes a difference.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Feb 27, 2011 07:05 PM
If the black finish is worn off, then that means that some of the metal, maybe only 1/1000 is worn. Is the black worn off of the holes that the side seal cartridges go into? That could cause the 18d orings to fail early. Also if the mail threads on the #9 retaining ring are worn, then the side seal cartridges are not being pushed in all the way. This will lead to the outer 18d oring failing early.

Hope that helps,

George
SFDONE
Daniel X
Posted: Feb 27, 2011 07:32 PM
JAG3, geographical location has NOTHING to do with it.. a tight gun with no leaks doesn't need to be torn down or flushed out every single night. PERIOD.
ChrisIgna
Posted: Feb 27, 2011 07:42 PM
What do you all think about the Cs Fusion Gun.

We leave our gun on the line for months at a time. We have a bucket of cu-6 just dip the gun in at end of the day. The next morning Blow all the loose foam off with air.

The only down side i have found with the gun is the # of clear shot cartiages we are using. I was told 1 per set but we are using 3+/-/set. Tend to use more on closed cell than open cell.

Just woundering opinions on the gun.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.